DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Mentor
50 Posts
its only useful if you watch primetime. Its best point is that it records all 4 networks using one tuner. So you still have 2 tuners to watch different live programs or to record with. And now with auto hop on ptat its another plus.

597 Posts
christy552005 said:
CAn somebody explain the benefit of ptat? I personally don't see the benefit and I don't know if I'm missing something obvious or if we just don't watch that much prime time tv to make it useful.
Thanks
If you don't watch much Prime Time TV, it may not be useful for you (I don't watch much, and would have it disabled).

PTAT records all 4 major local network (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX) during Prime Time hours using 1 tuner on the Hopper. These events are saved for 8 days on a separate part of the hard drive, so it does not take up your personal recording space unless you decide to save the event.

· Godfather
630 Posts
christy552005 said:
CAn somebody explain the benefit of ptat? I personally don't see the benefit and I don't know if I'm missing something obvious or if we just don't watch that much prime time tv to make it useful.
Thanks
I can think of a couple of things.

1) You don't have to set up timers for network television.
2) You might give shows a try that you would never look at if they weren't there.
3) You can watch a show you only hear about a day or two after it airs. The "did you see that episode of (whatever) last night? It was the best!"
4) In the event there are two broadcast shows on at the same time that you want to record, you only need one tuner to record both.
5) PTAT recordings take nothing away from the user defined space - the 500GB PTAT takes up is reserved on the hard drive, and is separate from the 1TB user partition. So you can record what little network television you want for "free."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.