DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Legend
181 Posts
I get lifeline cable. The same local stations from Philly DMA, Dish carries, my Comcast carries, so I didnt see the benefit of upgrading to a larger dish. Granted everyone doesnt have lifeline cable though and lineups are different in every county pretty much.

Now if Dish offered WMGM 40(NBC)/Atlantic City, WLVT 39(PBS)/Allentown, WFPA-28 LP (Telefutura)/Philly and some other stations from my market that I cant get on cable, then I'd think about it. Anyways I'm with DirecTV now,get WLVT 39 from Allentown which Comcast here doesnt carry. I'm about 15 miles from Philly, 50-55 miles South East of Allentown and Reading, 50-55 miles north west of Atlantic City/Cape may. So my Cable system is pretty much in the center of the market. Comcast here carries the same locals DirecTV has, except Comcast carries WPPX 61(Pax), but DirecTV has WLVT 39(PBS).

I know WLVT 39 (PBS) isnt bothering getting Dish carriage even though they are on DirecTV. They know about this big dish, and arent interested and would rather save the money since they have to run fiber otherwise. Its already a costly expensive for them. WMGM 40 (NBC) and WBPH 60 (Religious) want carriage, its not a retransmission dispute, its just they cant afford it running a line. WBPH 60 wants carriage badly in Philadelphia (cable and DirecTV) as they right now are only limited to Allentown. WBPH 60 and WLVT 39 use WFMZ's tower. I like how in Allentown all three broadcasters use the same tower, owned by WFMZ. I wish the same was true in South Jersey, that all the full power stations transmitted from Waterford Works, NJ. I know WUVP 65 wants pretty much to be in Philly and their digital station will broadcast from Roxborough with the other Philly stations. Same with WPPX 61, Pax.

I get a superb analog PQ of the Philly station from Roxborough via my antenna that I have too. Comcast, DirecTV or Dish cant match that PQ. Except maybe HD.

·
Legend
181 Posts
Originally posted by DamonM
I think these broadcasters just want to suck up as much space as possible on the conus slots so they can take up the space that might otherwise be taken up by competitors and new channels. After all, what better way to make sure you have fewer competitors than to take up all the available space?

Its true with cable also. Broadcasters take up quite a lot of space on cable too. In Central NJ Mercer Co. (philly DMA), the cable system RCN had to reserve 24 channels for NY and Philly stations because of significantly viewed. I know RCN wants to sell its Princeton cable system, and RCN is based in Princeton! Each analog channel could equal up to 10-15 digital channels, channels that could be "basic" programming channels, PPV, premiums, VOD, space the MSO could make money from.

Comcast in Ocean County (NY) DMA but Southern NJ has to reserve alot of space for NY & Philly. The Philly stations have delusion that Ocean County is in their market, and will give thunderstorm/flood warnings for Ocean County, while the NY stations are too busy with NYC/Long Island news to bother. There is sports coverage thats different along with news, but it doesnt make sense why 2 NBC, 2 ABC, 2 FOX are being carried, yet at same time its "illegal" for a customer in Toms River or any part of that county to purchase Philly locals via DBS even though Comcast carries 3,6,10,12,17,29,57, CN8, CCSN already from Philly DMA.

IMO, DBS was stuck. They wanted to carry ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX from the big markets to compete with digital cable, but were stuck with mustcarry which means carry every PBS, every NCE in the market in most cases. Some of these stations are good, some are useless and are only in existence because laws protect them. IMO, mustcarry should be carrying any news/weather fulltime channels with maybe some community affairs programiing but no local home shopping or religious channels. In the end its just a power struggle for money. DBS providers, big network stations, affiliates, independents, religious, PBS, they all want their share of money and will do anything to preserve their interests.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.