DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but could not find this answer.

What if any differences are there between the DVR available at Best Buy and the one you get if you call Direct TV? The only thing I have noticed is the color, black VS silver.
Any info is greatly appreciated, my SAT-T60 is dying and I am going to make the jump to the HD DVR and all related.

Thanks

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
The silver units are HR20's and have built in OTA. The black units are HR21's and do not have OTA capability by themselves. There is, however, an add on unit (AM21) that can be used with the HR21's to receive OTA stations.

If you have no need for OTA, then either unit will work for you and there's not many differences between them in terms of functionality.

D* is not able to guarantee which unit you'll get if you order from them, but generally it's one of the HR21's (black). I would think HR20's would be hard to find at BB too.

Also, depending on your situation, it's possible that you might get it cheaper from D*. You'll probably need a new dish too and if you're upgrading to HD through D*, the installation will be free (maybe from BB too?) and they may give you a discount on the receiver or programming. Worth a call anyway.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
No real difference at all. However, if you are a customer in good standing with Directv and have been a customer for some time, a better deal can sometimes be struck by talking to Directv on the phone rather than Best Buy. They will also handle scheduling the installation of the new Sat dish.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Also, remember you're not "purchasing" a DVR at Best Buy.... you're leasing one from DirecTV, with Best Buy being the leasing agent. So, all the lease terms and contract extensions will still happen when you purchase the least at Best Buy or Costco.

·
Godfather
347 Posts
MartyS said:
Also, remember you're not "purchasing" a DVR at Best Buy.... you're leasing one from DirecTV, with Best Buy being the leasing agent...
unless you shell out the big bucks for the hr21pro dvr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.