DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking at potentially picking up a receiver at Best Buy or Costco.

I am curious, do you sign any contract or forms when you purchase? What about at Costco, do you have to sign anything or does it tie to your Costco account in anyway?

Reason I ask is I go to Costco with a friend every now and then and I do not personally have a membership anymore (just use my friends as I go so infrequently). But if I were to buy a receiver would I have to have my own membership or else it would be tied to my friends?

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
Grentz said:

I am curious, do you sign any contract or forms when you purchase? What about at Costco, do you have to sign anything or does it tie to your Costco account in anyway?

Reason I ask is I go to Costco with a friend every now and then and I do not personally have a membership anymore (just use my friends as I go so infrequently). But if I were to buy a receiver would I have to have my own membership or else it would be tied to my friends?
I believe that they have a system, which will get your account information, and tie the rcvr into your account pending activation, I do not believe that there is signed paperwork, but am not sure. IF so it would be based on them pulling up your account info in the computer system,.

· Icon
682 Posts
Regular checkout procedure. In fact, my fiance bought the last HR21, and the D* account is in my name, Costco in hers. Called, told them I picked one up and want to activate it. Very painless.

· Godfather
331 Posts
I also bought an HR21-700 at Costco about a year ago. I just went through the normal check out, no questions asked.

But the last three Costcos that I have visited here in NC did not have any DirecTV receivers at all. Just the counter display. No price card and no boxes stacked up like they used to.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok cool, so it is just like purchasing any other product?

I am shocked, cause technically you could buy them and not activate them if that is the case, this I guess would qualify as a backup as others were wondering about in the other thread today.

But that is great news, as that means I can pick one up at costco for cheaper when I am ready ;)

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
Grentz said:

I got an HR20 at costco a while back, and they didn't collect any information. As has been pointed out, Costco does have my personal information, so it's possible that my information was somehow tied to the receiver in DirecTVs system as a result of my purchase... But I didn't see any evidence of that.

· Hall Of Fame
1,510 Posts
There is nothing that ties a specific Receiver to a Costco account. Even if there was, the receiver is tied to the DirecTV account of whoever activates it.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok cool, I was thinking that there might be something at time of sale like they do with some cell phones at certain stores to make sure that you do activate the item.

Cause if it is true they do not collect anything, I could buy a receiver and not activate it and Directv would have no idea where it went till it was activated the first time.

· Hall Of Fame
2,345 Posts
Grentz said:
Ok cool, I was thinking that there might be something at time of sale like they do with some cell phones at certain stores to make sure that you do activate the item.

Cause if it is true they do not collect anything, I could buy a receiver and not activate it and Directv would have no idea where it went till it was activated the first time.
Generally speaking, yes. There are some retailers that have the ability (BB & CompUSA I believe) to tie a receiver to your account based on acct number, telephone number, etc. Doesnt mean they will/do.

SO long as you understand that no matter how much you pay for it at the store, its a leased unit, you're good to go.

· Godfather
388 Posts
We purchased our HR22s at Best Buy and they did ask for my name and address and let me know that if I did not activate the boxes within a month (IIRC) that I would be charged for the full price. I don't think you should have any problem at checkout as long as you give them your information.

· Icon
704 Posts
You'll have 30 days to activate them, period. If you don't, then they'll somehow charge you the FULL price of the unit. I don't really know how but it is quite possible that you will get "charged" from your account for whatever you owe for the unit. It hasn't happened to me because I always activate the receiver at most a day after purchase. I suspect that if I go to Best Buy to purchase a HR21 receiver for $199 with either a debit card or credit card, and fail to activate it within 30 days, they'll take 4 or 5 hundred dollars more out of whatever I used to purchase.

· Icon
808 Posts
Grentz said:
Ok cool, so it is just like purchasing any other product?

I am shocked, cause technically you could buy them and not activate them if that is the case, this I guess would qualify as a backup as others were wondering about in the other thread today.

But that is great news, as that means I can pick one up at costco for cheaper when I am ready ;)
Grentz said:

Grentz said:
hehe, Ya I know the whole lease deal, I was just curious what purchasing at retail is like.

That should work out great then, now I just have to see if my local costco has them in stock ;)
I have purchased 2 HR20-700s from COSTCO and 2 H20-600s from BB. Of course COSTCO did not take any info, so I was able to buy the two HD DVRs from them without activating them initially. (Back Ups). I eventually had to use one of them to replace a receiver that had stopped working, so now I am down to one back up.

However, here's the surprising thing. With the two HD Receivers from BB, they did take my information. I also did have the intent of activating them immediately. But, because I had decided to go with HD DVRs for the three TVs I was going to use them for, I just hung on the H20s and use them for future TVs.

Well, it's been over 13 months since I bought those receivers from BB and I have still not been charged for not activating them (It says on the receipt you sign that you have 30 days to do so or you will get charged).

So, now I consider those two HD Receivers from BB back-ups, just in case our other H20s need replacing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.