DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm frustrated to report that I have finally decided to go back to the HR10. I haven't given up completely on the HR20; in fact, I'm sure once OTA and stability/usability are addressed, I'll go back to the HR20.

Here are the things that finalized my decision:

- I finally received the 6.3 update on my 2 HR10s. While it's not as fast as the HR20, it's not as maddeningly slow as it used to be. Folders are also huge.

- I prefer the simplicity of the TiVO

- The whole point of the HR20 is HD but D* isn't broadcasting HD locals in my area (Las Vegas). Well, to be accurate, they are broadcasting ABC and FOX, but not very well. The audio is warbly and today the video was horribly choppy. I don't know how it is now because the HR20 is disconnected. I suspect this is a D* broadcast issue and not an HR20 issue, but there's not point in using the HR20 (for me) until this gets addressed. So for me, there is more HD content available in the HR10 (and the overlapped stuff is either the same quality or better quality).

- Stability of the unit was poor. I only had one or two lockups, but frequently had to FF/Rewind recordings to play them. This was stupid.

- Inability to diplex into the HR20 lines. This isn't that important if D* is producing quality local HD, but since they are not, I can use the lines that are in the wall instead of running lines along the floorboard.

- Better trick play. Although I may be the only human who likes the concept of 30s slip, it is a tad too slow, and more importantly, the HR20's skip-to-tick feature is not very good and hard to use. HR10 is much better in this department.

- Consistent lip-sync with HR10. Although every programming source has unique lip sync issues, the HR10 does a more consistent job with lip sync to the point where one delay setting on my a/v receiver handles everything well. With the HR20 I am constantly changing lip sync settings to avoid the kung fu movie effect.

I'm going to keep on monitoring this forum to track when I should switch back to the HR20. I appreciate all the hard work all the brave souls here are doing. I wish I had the time to do it myself!

Finally, there are definitely things I will miss about the HR20, including the aforementioned speed of the unit. I will miss the ability to take advantage of the active content on NFLST. I will sorely miss the PIP while using guide and other menus.

Best of luck and from time to time I might chime in with questions about how features or going for you guys.

And I'll also be eagerly awaiting the launch of the D* Vista PC card forum....maybe in January or so?

Jedster

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
jedster said:
I'm frustrated to report that I have finally decided to go back to the HR10. I haven't given up completely on the HR20; in fact, I'm sure once OTA and stability/usability are addressed, I'll go back to the HR20.

- I finally received the 6.3 update on my 2 HR10s. While it's not as fast as the HR20, it's not as maddeningly slow as it used to be. Folders are also huge.

- The whole point of the HR20 is HD but D* isn't broadcasting HD locals in my area (Las Vegas). Well, to be accurate, they are broadcasting ABC and FOX, but not very well. The audio is warbly and today the video was horribly choppy. I don't know how it is now because the HR20 is disconnected. I suspect this is a D* broadcast issue and not an HR20 issue, but there's not point in using the HR20 (for me) until this gets addressed. So for me, there is more HD content available in the HR10 (and the overlapped stuff is either the same quality or better quality).

- Stability of the unit was poor. I only had one or two lockups, but frequently had to FF/Rewind recordings to play them. This was stupid.

- Inability to diplex into the HR20 lines. This isn't that important if D* is producing quality local HD, but since they are not, I can use the lines that are in the wall instead of running lines along the floorboard.

- Better trick play. Although I may be the only human who likes the concept of 30s slip, it is a tad too slow, and more importantly, the HR20's skip-to-tick feature is not very good and hard to use. HR10 is much better in this department.

- Consistent lip-sync with HR10. Although every programming source has unique lip sync issues, the HR10 does a more consistent job with lip sync to the point where one delay setting on my a/v receiver handles everything well. With the HR20 I am constantly changing lip sync settings to avoid the kung fu movie effect.

I'm going to keep on monitoring this forum to track when I should switch back to the HR20. I appreciate all the hard work all the brave souls here are doing. I wish I had the time to do it myself!

Finally, there are definitely things I will miss about the HR20, including the aforementioned speed of the unit. I will miss the ability to take advantage of the active content on NFLST. I will sorely miss the PIP while using guide and other menus.

Best of luck and from time to time I might chime in with questions about how features or going for you guys.

And I'll also be eagerly awaiting the launch of the D* Vista PC card forum....maybe in January or so?

Jedster
Hasta la vista, baby! If I had an H10, I'd be with you. And I agree, if the HR20 worked reliably, it's the best out there ("on paper," as I have said in another post). But if I want to record in HD, the HR20 is my only option. My "stability" alternative is the R10 for now, which I never disconnected. And I have an H20, which seems very reliable, the little I have used it, for real time HD.

·
Legend
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh another thing that I will miss: the display on the HR20 that shows how much recording space is left.

(Actually, I should have noted, that I'm leaving one HR20 active in the BR where I did not previously have a DVR. Mostly I'm leaving it connected to see when software updates are put out.)

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
jedster said:
Oh another thing that I will miss: the display on the HR20 that shows how much recording space is left.

(Actually, I should have noted, that I'm leaving one HR20 active in the BR where I did not previously have a DVR. Mostly I'm leaving it connected to see when software updates are put out.)
You have three of them, so I would hope you'd keep one connected, just for kicks.

·
Icon
752 Posts
jedster said:

Jedster
How long has tivo been around?
How many software versions have there been.
By the way don't you mean 6.3(a) not 6.3(OMG tivo screwed something up????)
I have had directivos, utv and now hr20 and nothing even comes close (granted no mp4 here) but really! I kept my hr10 connected even now...but I cannot wait till I get another and they can take bugs bunny(hr10) away.
Survival of the fittest.

·
Legend
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jlancaster said:
How long has tivo been around?
How many software versions have there been.
By the way don't you mean 6.3(a) not 6.3(OMG tivo screwed something up????)
I have had directivos, utv and now hr20 and nothing even comes close (granted no mp4 here) but really! I kept my hr10 connected even now...but I cannot wait till I get another and they can take bugs bunny(hr10) away.
Survival of the fittest.
Believe me I wish the HR20 were better. And I think it will be one day. It could be that day is as soon as a month or two from now. Maybe it will be four or five. It probably won't be more than six.

But for now, for a person who uses DVRs like I do (valuing simplicity, PQ, and reliability above all else), the HR10 is a superior product (which oddly enough provides more HD than the 5LNB dish because of OTA and lack of HD locals here in Vegas). I'd probably keep the HR20 if Vegas had HD locals up in MPEG4 that worked (again, we only have 2 up, and they suck).

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
I am doing the same thing as the OP. The HR20 is just too unreliable. I need to record ESPN Gameplan, Sunday Ticket and Center Ice programs all of the time, and NBA when it starts in a few weeks. To have it cancel 3 out of the 4 items I told it to record last weekend, that was the final straw. I missed a few TV recordings this week as well, most noteably Friday Night Lights and Studio 60. I downloaded the latest update last night and it missed the Daily Show today...that's it.

The HR10 is back in regular rotation and the HR20 is on the backburner for a while. I have them right next to each other and both happen to be active on my account (even though I only have three TVs and 4 receivers on the account)...I'll eat the 5 bucks each month so I can switch back and forth without having to call the CSRs to activate it.

So for now, the HR20 is NOT ready for primetime...at least it isn't with how I watch TV. After the 6.3 update on the HR10, I'm more than happy with it. Folders are definitely a huge addition as I got used to them on my SD Tivos I've got in my other two bedrooms. Oh well...of course, I'll be keeping track of this forum because I actually like the UI of the HR20 better than the old school Tivo, so I'd love to have regular use of it. I've got my HD locals already since I live in LA, so that's not an issue at all to me.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
I've been having the same issues. I got the HR20 so I wouldn't have to worry about only getting 2 or 3 of my major locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) with the HR10 and OTA. But the shows I recorded will sometimes take 2-3 minutes to start or just won't start at all. I recored The Office and watched it once, I go to watch it a 2nd time with a friend and black screen for 5 minutes. HR20 locks up, I have to reboot and then the same thing happens again. I still have to backup record my important shows on my HR10.

HR20 has good features and is interactive but just not very stable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.