DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Icon
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My inlaws are upgrading to HD and getting a 622 or 722.

They get Dish SD Locals, but there are no satellite HD locals for the market (it is too small at this time).

Will they get Guide Data for OTA HD channels, because they subscribe to the Dish satellite locals that are only in SD ?

· Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
Yes, they will get Guide data for their OTA channels. OTA channels are digital but not always HD. There is a difference.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
kstuart said:
My inlaws are upgrading to HD and getting a 622 or 722.

They get Dish SD Locals, but there are no satellite HD locals for the market (it is too small at this time).

Will they get Guide Data for OTA HD channels, because they subscribe to the Dish satellite locals that are only in SD ?
What market are they in? Just curious...

· Icon
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ChuckA said:
Yes, they will get Guide data for their OTA channels. OTA channels are digital but not always HD. There is a difference.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm familiar with OTA digital ... I just wasn't sure what Dish's policy was about OTA Guide data, i.e. whether they actually have implemented it in places where they do not currently have HD satellite locals.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
I was about to ask this same question about EPG for OTA, but found this thread. Very helpful! If anyone knows, I would like a clarification as the OP seems to have a slightly different situation.

I am currently subscribed to locals thru Dish and get guide data for OTA channels except for one PBS station (ATL market). I'm thinking about saving the $5 month and dropping Dish locals for OTA as I get great OTA signals. Would I still get the same EPG if I dropped locals and just kept the Americas 200 plan?

· Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
You will get the same EPG but without the local channels and OTA channels.

· Godfather
298 Posts
mzta9 said:
I was about to ask this same question about EPG for OTA, but found this thread. Very helpful! If anyone knows, I would like a clarification as the OP seems to have a slightly different situation.

I am currently subscribed to locals thru Dish and get guide data for OTA channels except for one PBS station (ATL market). I'm thinking about saving the $5 month and dropping Dish locals for OTA as I get great OTA signals. Would I still get the same EPG if I dropped locals and just kept the Americas 200 plan?
The answer is no. You would not get the OTA data on the EPG if you do not pay the $5 for locals.

I get my OTA and do not subscribe to dish locals for the $5 and I do not get the EPG data for them. I still use the DVR just like you would a VCR to record these channels.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
GatoViejo said:
I have been receiving guide data for OTA channels for a few days now even though I do not subscribe to locals (intended to, but kept procrastinating). Is this a policy change, or perhaps something to do with TurboHD?
maybe it depends on the market you are in???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.