DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm as greedy as the next guy when it comes to getting as much HD as possible. But at the sacrifice of quality, that's where I'd like to draw the line. Maybe someone in the know can answer a question for me. Was the failed sat launch in March, actually replaced by E'Star 11, or was E'Star 11 always part of the plan? Dish has obviously been pushing "quantity" in regards to HD programing the last yr, but will it be at the cost of "quality" in the end? I would hope not, but I'm certainly not gonna hold my breath.

Dish obviously knows they will be competing more and more with fibre optics as time goes by. So they absolutley know what their future competition holds. I say future, because fibre optics is still in their infancy, although moving faster than most folks thought they would in terms of availibility. One would be foolish to knock fibre optics. With bandwith being the name of the game, fibre optics holds top honors...hands down. Again, Dish knows fibre optics players are in their rear view mirrors currently, but they know that can easily change in the yrs to come...if they don't figure out how to best deal with them as competitors.

I believe they will have to do it with price. I say price because fibre optics providers will be able to offer bundled pkgs such as internet and phone service which are superior to what Dish can offer. At speeds of roughly 2 TB's, their internet service is the winner and it isn't even close to what is capable via the internet by sat...which is SLOW. Now couple that with a customer getting a discount for bundled services which beat the price of what Dish offers, and you have Dish (as I see it), having only one recourse...to lower prices down the road. They will either lower prices or they will loose cutomers IMO. In all honesty, gonna be a real tough decision a few yrs down the road for me when FIOS actually becomes available. I will be changing my broadband cable ISP as soon as fibre optics gets to my neighborhood. No brainer when speeds are roughly 2 TB.

Been a loyal Dish customer of 8 yrs. But if they want to keep me as a customer down the road, they damn well better get me QUALITY HD...as in picture quality. For now, I'll call things for what they are, a "transition" stage (new birds, failed birds, etc). I can live w/ that. But if next yr, or the yr after, I continue to see many of my HD channels not as crisp as they should be...my bill and services may very well go the way of fibre optics. What's it gonna be Charlie?

· Icon
324 Posts
bgibb1123 said:
I'm as greedy as the next guy when it comes to getting as much HD as possible. But at the sacrifice of quality, that's where I'd like to draw the line. Maybe someone in the know can answer a question for me. Was the failed sat launch in March, actually replaced by E'Star 11, or was E'Star 11 always part of the plan? Dish has obviously been pushing "quantity" in regards to HD programing the last yr, but will it be at the cost of "quality" in the end? I would hope not, but I'm certainly not gonna hold my breath.
E*11 was always part of the plan

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,472 Posts
AMC-14 was headed for 61.5, so it is likely that it had an impact on DISH's national HD plans in that Echostar 3 will have to stay put for a while.

· Mentor
40 Posts
The only thing keeping me from switching to FIOS is the fact that it is run by the morons at Verizon. Have you ever had to deal with their customer service? It takes 5 phone calls to get a simple billing error on the phone bill corrected. I can only shudder at how their customer service handles FIOS.

· Legend
231 Posts
bgibb1123 said:
At speeds of roughly 2 TB's, their internet service is the winner and it isn't even close to what is capable via the internet by sat...which is SLOW.
No ordinary Internet customer on the planet is getting download bandwidth remotely close to 2 TB. Not even 1/10,000th that speed. 2 TB bandwidth is around the theoretical maximum for current fiber/optical technology.

Verizon FIOS, at best, delivers 20 million bits per second down stream and quite a bit less than that on the upstream.

Some providers in Europe and Asia can do better -thanks to their markets not being infected with the sort of abuse we see from telcos in the United States. In the coming years this will put the United States at a serious economic disadvantage in sophistication of business operation technology compared to that of other developed nations. We could see a whole new wave of outsourcing as a result -with entire corporate headquarters hopping our borders for elsewhere if the bandwidth imbalance gets bad enough.

About 10 years from now a decent percentage of the American population, but still a small minority of the total, will have access to Internet connections faster than 30 million bits per second sustained. That will be fast enough to deliver real time 1080p HD video at very good levels of quality -better than that of OTA transmission.

All of that is a good ways off in the future. Digital satellite TV still has at least 10 years or so before IPTV technology and fiber starts posing a truly serious threat.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
bgibb1123 said:

Dish obviously knows they will be competing more and more with fibre optics as time goes by. So they absolutley know what their future competition holds. I say future, because fibre optics is still in their infancy, although moving faster than most folks thought they would in terms of availibility. One would be foolish to knock fibre optics. With bandwith being the name of the game, fibre optics holds top honors...hands down. Again, Dish knows fibre optics players are in their rear view mirrors currently, but they know that can easily change in the yrs to come...if they don't figure out how to best deal with them as competitors.

I believe they will have to do it with price. I say price because fibre optics providers will be able to offer bundled pkgs such as internet and phone service which are superior to what Dish can offer. At speeds of roughly 2 TB's, their internet service is the winner and it isn't even close to what is capable via the internet by sat...which is SLOW. Now couple that with a customer getting a discount for bundled services which beat the price of what Dish offers, and you have Dish (as I see it), having only one recourse...to lower prices down the road. They will either lower prices or they will loose cutomers IMO. In all honesty, gonna be a real tough decision a few yrs down the road for me when FIOS actually becomes available. I will be changing my broadband cable ISP as soon as fibre optics gets to my neighborhood. No brainer when speeds are roughly 2 TB.

Been a loyal Dish customer of 8 yrs. But if they want to keep me as a customer down the road, they damn well better get me QUALITY HD...as in picture quality. For now, I'll call things for what they are, a "transition" stage (new birds, failed birds, etc). I can live w/ that. But if next yr, or the yr after, I continue to see many of my HD channels not as crisp as they should be...my bill and services may very well go the way of fibre optics. What's it gonna be Charlie?
Both E* and D* have announced 1080p VOD movies. And both know they need more satellite transponders for bandwidth and are "working on it." Your guess is as good as anybody's about what options you will have "a few yrs down the road", but I think we'll all be surprised.

Personally, I think we're wasting alot of bandwidth on a 1950's model of local TV stations when there should be an east and west feed of the "formerly known as" broadcast networks.

· Godfather
430 Posts
HobbyTalk said:
Fiber depends on the area. I'll prolly be dead before we get it. Verison is not in our area and Comcast is our cable provider.... need it say more :)
They still pipe in sunshine where I live. Its satellite or bust! :icon_cool

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.