DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question about the cable runs to my HR20. The cables running from the multi-switch to the receiver are from a previous install with a Tivo-based Philip's receiver back in 2005. The installer did home runs from the multi-switch to the receiver, but I would like to cut them, terminate them in a wall plate, and then run cut-to-fit cables to my equipment rack. The cable is a solid-core copper cable, RG-6, rated to 2300Mhz.

What are the chances I'll screw the signal quality up by installing the wall jack? The run from the satellite dish to the 6x8 is about 6'; from the 6x8 to the wall is about 25'; and the run from the wall to the receiver is about 7'.

Any thoughts?

-Chuck

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
It shouldn't hurt anything to install a wall jack. The installer back in 2005 should have installed wall jacks he was just to lazy to do it I guess.

The runs from the dish to the equipment are rated for 100 feet before any type of amplifier is required. Your 38 foot or so run should be no problem.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Hey soccer,
Not really helping here, but are you saying the cables used for the new HR-20 install are re-used from the previous Tivo install in 2005? I had my Tivo installed in a mover's program in Feb of this year, and was curious if your 2005 cable was rated high enough (the 2300 you mentioned) to use them again for the HR-20 which I want to do if i can. Is that what you meant? Sorry - not helping answer your question :nono2:

·
Icon
770 Posts
I have a very similar setup and I don't have a problem.

My specifics: The four cable run is from the multiswitch mounted near the new AT9 dish and runs outside about 25'-30', through a wall into a Leviton modular wall plate with snap-in F-connectors, and finally through ~6' cables to the receiver. All of the cable is from the original install which I did myself in July 2001 using RG-6. There is no bandwidth rating on the outside jacket. I've had my HR20 for about 10 days with no reception problems.

At some point in the next few months I intend to replace the old cable with a new run and will use 3000 MHz rated cable, but mostly because I would like to use two pairs of double cable rather than the four single cables and replace the old crimp-on connectors with compression fittings.

·
Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Canis Lupus said:
Hey soccer,
Not really helping here, but are you saying the cables used for the new HR-20 install are re-used from the previous Tivo install in 2005? I had my Tivo installed in a mover's program in Feb of this year, and was curious if your 2005 cable was rated high enough (the 2300 you mentioned) to use them again for the HR-20 which I want to do if i can. Is that what you meant? Sorry - not helping answer your question :nono2:
No problem. My cables from the Tivo install are printed with RG6 18WG 2300Mhz on the outside of the insulator. They were installed in January 2005. Other than issues related to the software release of the HR20 and the one 1080i HD local station (not directly related to the HR20), I haven't had any problems with picture quality. At least to me, HDNet and Discovery HD Theater are the best tests and they look great!

The only thing I did do was install new compression fittings on them instead of the crimp-ons that the original installer used.

Hope that helps.

-Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.