DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HR20 was just installed tis morning after a very long wait, and I have a question about the channel numbers for my local channels. I live in the NY market, and my local networks are channel 2 (cbs), 4 (nbc), 5 (fox) and 7 (abc). Those channels are all SD channels. My HD locals are 80, 82, 84, and 86. Now for some reason, channel 2 is listed in my guide twice, as is channel 4, 5 and 7. Is there any reason for this? It is very annoying to flip channels, since I start and channel 2, and when I change the channel using the up button I just change it to my other channel 2. I have to push it again to get to channel 4 and so on. Is this normal? I could understand if the OTA was connected, but I don't know what to make of it.

·
Banned
614 Posts
rfoley2 said:
My HR20 was just installed tis morning after a very long wait, and I have a question about the channel numbers for my local channels. I live in the NY market, and my local networks are channel 2 (cbs), 4 (nbc), 5 (fox) and 7 (abc). Those channels are all SD channels. My HD locals are 80, 82, 84, and 86. Now for some reason, channel 2 is listed in my guide twice, as is channel 4, 5 and 7. Is there any reason for this? It is very annoying to flip channels, since I start and channel 2, and when I change the channel using the up button I just change it to my other channel 2. I have to push it again to get to channel 4 and so on. Is this normal? I could understand if the OTA was connected, but I don't know what to make of it.
Obviously the local HD channels are not broadcasting HD program at this moment, so tonight you'll notice that the programs will be.

:lol:

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
grate88 said:
The extra 2 - 4 - 7 etc. are the HD mpeg4 locals. Those in the 80's are mpeg2.
Thank you. That makes sense. Is the quality better on one rather than the other? Does one take up ,ore space than the other when recording?

Any idea where the local channels will be listed when the OTA is turned on?

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
The 80's feeds are distant-networks feeds for those who can't get locals, as well as MPEG2/HD locals for the NY market (implemented to serve a big bunch of customers with HD content before local HD channels were added nationwide).

In the Nashville market, the channels marked "NA2","NA4", "NA5", etc. are all SD locals. The ones marked with station call letters (WKRN, WSMV, WTVF, etc.) are all HD locals. When I just tune directly using the remote with 2, 4, 5 or whatever, it defaults to the HD local, which I appreciate.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
237 Posts
rfoley2 said:
Thank you. That makes sense. Is the quality better on one rather than the other? Does one take up ,ore space than the other when recording?

Any idea where the local channels will be listed when the OTA is turned on?
The mpeg4 (alt 2,4,7 etc) take up less space. Approx. 50hrs on a full drive as compared to 30hrs on mpeg2.

In LA, the mpeg4's are not as reliable (at least for me) as far as recording yet. The goal is that you should not see a difference as they want all HD to be mpeg4 in the not too distant future.

·
Icon
545 Posts
rfoley2 said:

Any idea where the local channels will be listed when the OTA is turned on?[/QUOTE]

When OTA is activated your local HD OTA channels will be (2-1,4-1,7-1 ect)!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.