DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if I will need to run another line from my 5LNB dish to my HR20 when the OTA HD stuff becomes available. I remember someone saying somewhere that these signals would be picked up by the dish and the receiver would not need another line running into the antenna port on the back of the unit. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks in advance.

Opticus

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
You'll need an old fashioned OTA antenna to receive OTA channels on your HR20. The dish only gets signals from the D* sats, nothing else.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PoitNarf said:
You'll need an old fashioned OTA antenna to receive OTA channels on your HR20. The dish only gets signals from the D* sats, nothing else.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)
Thanks for the welcome..

I was told by the DTV tech that the new dish they put on the house would pick up the OTA signal sent by my local providers and when the upgrade was sent to the receiver (whenever) I would be able to get the OTA stuff through the dish as an antenna. I got the HD/DVR and dish in early October. The tech didn't explain whether or not I would need to run another line or need another antenna. Now I have two dishes on my house. I hope I don't need another antenna. I'm running out of space :lol:

Thanks again

·
Legend
132 Posts
Opticus said:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if I will need to run another line from my 5LNB dish to my HR20 when the OTA HD stuff becomes available. I remember someone saying somewhere that these signals would be picked up by the dish and the receiver would not need another line running into the antenna port on the back of the unit. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks in advance.

Opticus
I think you may be confusing OTA HD with Local HD via satellite. Your locals channels are not available in the El Paso area via satellite now, but when they are available you will get them with no extra lines required. OTA HD is different. OTA picks up high definition channels through a seperate line to a TV antenna, which usually must be mounted on a roof. You could do this, but your best bet is probably to just sit tight until the HD locals start coming in via satellite.

·
Godfather
488 Posts
That is only true if the dish has an OTA antenna attached. The dish itself does NOT act as an OTA antenna. You will need OTA antenna to get the channels. He may have been refering to the locals sent via D. Look at your setup and see if anything is conected to the antenna input on the HR20. If something is there trace it back and see what it is conenctd to. If not, the installer was full of s**t or a complete idiot (or both).

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Don't worry Opticus. I was told exactly the same thing by a D* CSR, even though I knew it couldn't be true. You've come to the right place to get ACTUAL answers. ;)

Opticus said:
I was told by the DTV tech that the new dish they put on the house would pick up the OTA signal sent by my local providers and when the upgrade was sent to the receiver (whenever) I would be able to get the OTA stuff through the dish as an antenna.

·
N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS
5,633 Posts
Hello this is my first post maybe somebody can answer this when the installer hooked my HR20 DVR he connected both HDMI and COMPONENT cables Do i need the COMPONENT thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
JACKIEGAGA said:
Hello this is my first post maybe somebody can answer this when the installer hooked my HR20 DVR he connected both HDMI and COMPONENT cables Do i need the COMPONENT thanks for your help
If your HR20 is working fine with your TV connected with the HDMI cable then component is not needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.