DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Not yet. The USB is not enabled. Earl (resident know-it-all) says it should be enabled in a future update, but no timetable as to when.

So until then, it's the slow, old-fashioned method of Audio/Video out to a recording device such as a DVD recorder.

·
Icon
731 Posts
FYI: They will NEVER EVER enable that. Copyright issues.

I just play videos to my DVD recorder. It's the only way.. now and forever.

·
Icon
761 Posts
Slyster said:
FYI: They will NEVER EVER enable that. Copyright issues.

I just play videos to my DVD recorder. It's the only way.. now and forever.
Of course they will, just like Tivo2Go, DTV2Go is already in the works. When they catch up. And get everything else working...ok maybe they never will, but not because of copyright issues. That's easily managed, just like on every other device in the world with a USB port.

·
Icon
731 Posts
Yep.. for sure on 'TV to go' type options.. but those are not transferrable either.. they also have a built in DVR and no way to save your stuff to a computer etc.

·
Icon
761 Posts
No. You are mistaken. The 2Go stuff transfers to a computer and lets you burn DVD. That's how Tivo works, and rights managements is still in force, and that is the plan for the DirecTV stuff as well.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
ApK said:
No. You are mistaken. The 2Go stuff transfers to a computer and lets you burn DVD. That's how Tivo works, and rights managements is still in force, and that is the plan for the DirecTV stuff as well.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the new Tivo Series 3 is going to be minus Tivo2go. Why this is, I am not sure but it may have been pressure from MPAA and the networks. Because of this, I think DiercTV might come to the same decision.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060912-7721.html

·
Icon
761 Posts
You're right, and it MAY have to do with rights issue, but it could be for several reasons: Maybe technical issues issues with HD data, maybe the dev team is too busy right now, maybe they want to charge for it later.

At any rate, since the Series 2 transfers are still a supported feature, apparently with the content owner's blessing (or it would have been made 'unsupported', like the 30sec skip) and since all other stuff like, iTunes, still lets you bring protected content down and burn CD's, and since the content owners themselves seem to be moving toward letting users download content, like network TV shows , there is no reason to assume that DTV's failure to enable transfers is a copyright issue. Quite the opposite in fact.

ApK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.