DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, The dtv guy is here now installing my 5 lnb dish and HR20. He put about 6 ft long cables connected to the lnb's and then conntected them via grounding block to cables that were allready there. Then they proceed to the multiswitch.

I told him i thought that they should be a straight run to the multiswitch and he said the way he did it is the way they do it now. Is he fulla crap? Do you guys think that having the line cut an additional time will affect signal?

I just want this thing right!

tks for any opinions

ps... I could tell this guy didn't know what he was doing when he put the lag screws for the dish in with a powered screwdriver and didn't even predrill any holes.......I've never seen that before

·
Legend
192 Posts
As far as I know you MUST go through a grounding block which is connected to an earth ground before entering the house. Was your old dish installed without a grounding block?

·
5 Posts
4dheels said:
He put about 6 ft long cables connected to the lnb's and then connected them via grounding block to cables that were already there.
Am guessing that even if that was not where the cables were grounded to the house bond, it is a time saver on the installer part. Once you assemble the dish - you do not want to take it apart for any reason - for example - to disconnect the jumper for the satellite meter.

4dheels said:
I could tell this guy didn't know what he was doing when he put the lag screws for the dish in with a powered screwdriver and didn't even predrill any holes.......I've never seen that before
I've got a dozen SBCA certified installers that would beg to differ with you - that is - as long as your installer hit the trusses and didn't just go into the plywood sheathing.

·
5 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
Cant you do a straight run to the multiswitch, then run the grounding wire from the switch to the block/rod? Seems like laziness to me.
You are right - it is "kind of" laziness since it would require a jumper from the switch back out to the dish to align it.

·
Legend
192 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
Cant you do a straight run to the multiswitch, then run the grounding wire from the switch to the block/rod? Seems like laziness to me.
Pretty sure that would violate the National Electric Code. Here's a pretty good summary:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Grounding.htm

Basically you must ground as near to the point of entry to the house as possible.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
That makes sense. In my situation, my switch is actually under the eave where it meets the house and is in fact the closest point to the house. The rod is right below that.

pgiralt said:
Pretty sure that would violate the National Electric Code. Here's a pretty good summary:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Grounding.htm

Basically you must ground as near to the point of entry to the house as possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.