DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a few terminator caps for a splitter of mine and a friends. Will this one work? Or will a few from a local RadioShack work? Personally, I would rather support a company like Solid Signal.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...75-Ohm-F-Connector-(TT-5900)&sku=615798303501

The picture of it doesn't seem like the ones DirecTV supplies so I decided to ask here; will this one work without any harm to my system?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Terminations are about the only thing that "it really doesn't matter".
They're made up of a 75Ω metal film resistor, mounted in a F-Type connector.
There is no "3 GHz rating", as they "pure resistance".

Find them anywhere close & cheap.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
Kevin F said:
I need to buy a few terminator caps for a splitter of mine and a friends. Will this one work? Or will a few from a local RadioShack work? Personally, I would rather support a company like Solid Signal.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...75-Ohm-F-Connector-(TT-5900)&sku=615798303501

The picture of it doesn't seem like the ones DirecTV supplies so I decided to ask here; will this one work without any harm to my system?

Thanks,
Kevin
I just bought a 2 pack from Home depot. $3.00 for 2.

·
Legend
146 Posts
veryoldschool said:
Terminations are about the only thing that "it really doesn't matter".
They're made up of a 75Ω metal film resistor, mounted in a F-Type connector.
There is no "3 GHz rating", as they "pure resistance".
This is true for most residential systems, but if there is voltage on the port that you are terminating it is required that you use a capacitatively-coupled terminator that won't conduct the voltage to ground like a standard 75-ohm terminator will.
Examples of this type of situation include the thru-ports on a SWM-32 or the thru-port taps in a cascaded system such as the MST-771, usually only found in larger residential or commercial systems.

I might add that these terminators are not commonly available, but may be included with those components that need them. The ones I'v seen have an elongated "nipple".

There is an example of these voltage-blocking terminators in use on an MFT-771 inside the cabinet and at the bottom of this linked page: http://www.pdisat.com/documents/MDU_COMPLETE_PDI-SAT.pdf

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Floyd said:
This is true for most residential systems, but if there is voltage on the port that you are terminating it is required that you use a capacitatively-coupled terminator that won't conduct the voltage to ground like a standard 75-ohm terminator will.
Examples of this type of situation include the thru-ports on a SWM-32 or the signal taps in a cascaded system usually only found in commercial systems.
While I agree terminations/resistors shouldn't be using where DC is present, why would someone be terminating the through ports [or cascade out] of a SWiM-32, and is there any voltage there? :confused:

·
Legend
146 Posts
veryoldschool said:
While I agree terminations/resistors shouldn't be using where DC is present, why would someone be terminating the through ports [or cascade out] of a SWiM-32, and is there any voltage there? :confused:
You may be right about those ports on the output of the SWM-32.

The SBCA MFH2 training says "all cascaded ports of the end units should be terminated with voltage-blocking terminators".
If the SWM-32 is conneded to the thru-ports of an MST-771 tap (with voltage present), would the voltage be blocked within the SWM-32?, or would you need to use an additional MST-771 and connect the SWM-32 to the tap ports of that MST-771?
I don't have access to one of these to test for the voltage, but I have used a regular terminator on a powered line...and it gets HOT!

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Floyd said:
You may be right about those ports on the output of the SWM-32.

The SBCA MFH2 training says "all cascaded ports of the end units should be terminated with voltage-blocking terminators".
If the SWM-32 is conneded to the thru-ports of an MST-771 tap (with voltage present), would the voltage be blocked within the SWM-32?, or would you need to use an additional MST-771 and connect the SWM-32 to the tap ports of that MST-771?
I don't have access to one of these to test for the voltage, but I have used a regular terminator on a powered line...and it gets HOT!
"I would guess" [not having a SWiM-32] that the cascade outputs, would be like those on the SWiM-16, or those on the SWM8, which are legacy ports, so no different than those on the outputs of a WB68 [no voltage or need for terminations], "since they're outputs from a switch".

·
Godfather
322 Posts
I would think it could still benefit from some form of cap if for no other reason than to keep it clean

so if you still have the little plastic caps that came with it that could server to keep that port dust free

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.