DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm going to be doing some extensive travelling back and forth between the US and Canada. I've brought my portable DTV setup in the past so I could enjoy the games while I'm away. I've been using the on-demand setup for a while now and really like it. Am I able to connect to the net while I'm in Canada? I don't know if they check to see what IP its connecting from, but I guess I figure since I own all this I should be able to use it where I travel.

Anybody know anything about this? Do they even care what IP it has or where it's connecting from?

Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
3,263 Posts
I think the OP is asking about downloading VOD content while on the road. I don't know if that's kosher or not. They can probably see that the IP is not from the U.S.

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha! Figured as much. The dish is a winegard on top of the RV. I'm certainly not taking it off when I cross the border. I am a US citizen using a US service that I pay for. I guess the problem is I'm in another country temporarily.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
cloak33 said:
Ha! Figured as much. The dish is a winegard on top of the RV. I'm certainly not taking it off when I cross the border. I am a US citizen using a US service that I pay for. I guess the problem is I'm in another country temporarily.
Receiving DirecTV is actually illegal in Canada, it does not matter that you are a US citizen. However, I have yet to hear of the Canadian Mounties arresting someone driving a US-registered RV because it has a dish on the roof...

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
People use google and find threads like this. Some people don't want to break the law so they should understand that it's not legal. Others don't care and so be it. Each person has the right to choose what they want so I'm going to ensure that they know.

I have never seen a report where a person has been fined for just that. I'm not going to say it's never happened but I'm sure you'd have to really piss someone off to do that.

I have seen it many times where people get cited for that amongst other things. I doubt the Canadian authorities are much different than ours in caring about tourists TV services. However if something happens and they want to throw the book at you it will be done. This can be a large fine and keep you from being allowed in the country. Given how strict Canada has become with regards to criminals entering their country some people might not say it's worth the risk.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
davring said:
It is not illegal in the OP's case as he is not a resident trying to obtain service to a residence.
from the DirecTV's website

Can I Get DIRECTV In Outside of North America?
We are prohibited by law from offering service outside the United States. DIRECTV abides by all applicable legal restrictions and does not condone or support violation of law. :nono:

· Legend
168 Posts
rbpeirce said:
More than likely because it interferes with some Canadian company's monopoly on this service. Remember AT&T? It used to prohibit hanging anything on its lines, such as an extension telephone in your bedroom.
Pretty close. It's a franchise issue and Canada franchised Canadian companies as providers. Bell, Star Choice, and Shaw, to name a few. The franchise excludes US carriers (i.e., Directv & Dish). Some Canadians have US service (using a false US address) but that is strictly illegal and has some serious penalties. Don't think the Canadian government bothers tourists though (don't ask - don't tell), but it is still technically illegal.

· Icon
779 Posts
RBTO said:
Pretty close. It's a franchise issue and Canada franchised Canadian companies as providers. Bell, Star Choice, and Shaw, to name a few. The franchise excludes US carriers (i.e., Directv & Dish). Some Canadians have US service (using a false US address) but that is strictly illegal and has some serious penalties.
And some Americans have Canadian dish services because they are hockey fans. I wish I was one of them. I would love to be able to watch the Canadian hockey networks playoff coverage instead of NBCSports. The Canadian passion for hockey shows up in their broadcasts in a way it just doesn't in the US.

SMK

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
peds48 said:
from the DirecTV's website

Can I Get DIRECTV In Outside of North America?
We are prohibited by law from offering service outside the United States. DIRECTV abides by all applicable legal restrictions and does not condone or support violation of law. :nono:
I have yet to have anyone stop me, in my motor home, at the border of Canada or Mexico for taking DirecTV equipment out of the US. I subscribe to their RV package and as far as I know there were no limitations placed on where I could travel.

· Mr. FixAnything
27,988 Posts
davring said:
I have yet to have anyone stop me, in my motor home, at the border of Canada or Mexico for taking DirecTV equipment out of the US. I subscribe to their RV package and as far as I know there were no limitations placed on where I could travel.
You were lucky - in some places you'll need 10' antenna to get DTV signals. While far north and far south - no signal at all.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
P Smith said:
You were lucky - in some places you'll need 10' antenna to get DTV signals. While far north and far south - no signal at all.
Works fine as far south as Mexico City and well past Fairbanks to the north. They do require some extreme angles on the dish:)

Edit: SD only in the far south.

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,115 Posts
davring said:
Doubt that it's illegal to do so; only illegal to use it! Or illegal to offer it for use, which DIRECTV® and Dish are not going to do, or condone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.