DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting two HR21 receivers installed into my house. I already have 1 cable running to each room and do not want another cable to be run. So will the installer be willing to replace the existing swimline LNB with a SWM LNB? What if I supply him with one that I can get off EBAY?

I live in Tucson Arizona.

· Almost a new member
427 Posts
From what I've seen here, you need to have at least 5 tuners before they'll provide an SWM. Since you only have 4, I wouldn't expect them to provide one.

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
youngster said:
Getting two HR21 receivers installed into my house. I already have 1 cable running to each room and do not want another cable to be run. So will the installer be willing to replace the existing swimline LNB with a SWM LNB? What if I supply him with one that I can get off EBAY?

The installer would probably be willing to do anything you will pay for. He also probably won't have the equipment. If you provide it you will be on your own for replacements. The second wire on those recorders has been a specification creep for a long time. Installers have been asked to just do it for the F word.

Go for it. You don't want the cable run and they would be glad not to.

Joe

· Legend
119 Posts
youngster said:

Please...Be very VERY careful with Ebay. I'm not trying to sound patriarchal but I and others have been burned by looking for a cheaper way on Ebay.

Not to mention, I did a cursory search on the SWMLine on Ebay and didn't see any results. They're not exactly easy to come by, so if you buy, buy with caution and confirm with the seller that it is indeed an SWMLine, not just an AU9.

I just hate seeing people get burned because as seller is either dishonest, or doesn't know what they have :nono2:

· Almost a new member
427 Posts
admiral39 said:
Not to mention, I did a cursory search on the SWMLine on Ebay and didn't see any results. They're not exactly easy to come by, so if you buy, buy with caution and confirm with the seller that it is indeed an SWMLine, not just an AU9.
I haven't seen any SWMline dishes there, but there are 3-4 sellers that have the SWM LNB from that dish.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The installer showed up at my house. I asked him if he would replace the regular LNB on the slimline with the SWM LNB. He said he was not trained on how to do it. But he did verify that other installers in his office were trained and that they were being installed in Tucson. He then called his manager who verified that all I had to do to qualify for the SWMline dish was...

1) Be a new D* customer (I am)
2) require 5 lines to be run to my receivers.

On requirement #2, all I was lacking was an additional SD receiver.

I then called D* and added the receiver. They set me up for a new work order with the SWMline dish for Friday.

Now, since I don't really want to pay for the extra SD receiver I will just cancel it when the tech shows up on Friday. The installer was sure that would not prevent him from installing the SWMline, since he would already have it on hand.

The games we have to play to get our way :D

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
youngster said:
The installer showed up at my house. I asked him if he would replace the regular LNB on the slimline with the SWM LNB. He said he was not trained on how to do it. But he did verify that other installers in his office were trained and that they were being installed in Tucson. He then called his manager who verified that all I had to do to qualify for the SWMline dish was...

I then called D* and added the receiver. They set me up for a new work order with the SWMline dish for Friday.

Now, since I don't really want to pay for the extra SD receiver I will just cancel it when the tech shows up on Friday. The installer was sure that would not prevent him from installing the SWMline, since he would already have it on hand.

The change in the work order will cost you a day..........it takes them dudes in India at least one day to read the work order. The tech will leave and you will have to reschedule........NO CHANGES....just because you want stuff and are willing to pay for it is no excuse for expecting things to happen in satellite land.

Hope I am wrong,

Joe

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
joe diamond said:
The change in the work order will cost you a day..........it takes them dudes in India at least one day to read the work order. The tech will leave and you will have to reschedule........NO CHANGES....just because you want stuff and are willing to pay for it is no excuse for expecting things to happen in satellite land.

Hope I am wrong,

Joe
Dang, In our market the local office put in for the work order change, take the IRD info. You do the job right there and then. And they close it when the change comes back from D*.

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
Mertzen said:
Dang, In our market the local office put in for the work order change, take the IRD info. You do the job right there and then. And they close it when the change comes back from D*.
That is why I hope I am wrong,

On these forums all you get is lots of local and individual experiences. Like mine.

Where I am and over many years I have found the local HSP can't even piss in their own hat. While the technology exists to scan IRDs, activate jobs and close work orders on line these guys insist on the most error prone plan you could imagine; local and central offices, company call centers, piles of paper for understaffed and undertrained clerks.

It has to be better somewhere.

Joe

· Icon
673 Posts
youngster said:

Very smart. Great plan and everybody is covered.

· Legend
149 Posts
youngster said:

paying for the receiver is cheaper than buying a SWM LNB and you will avoid cursing half of DTV staff.

· Legend
162 Posts
joe diamond said:
That is why I hope I am wrong,

On these forums all you get is lots of local and individual experiences. Like mine.

Where I am and over many years I have found the local HSP can't even piss in their own hat. While the technology exists to scan IRDs, activate jobs and close work orders on line these guys insist on the most error prone plan you could imagine; local and central offices, company call centers, piles of paper for understaffed and undertrained clerks.

It has to be better somewhere.

Joe
Amen. For what it's worth though, I will do the job even if a work order change is still in progress, and never had it backfire. It may take a lot of time on the phone but what else is new.

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
kevinm34232 said:
Amen. For what it's worth though, I will do the job even if a work order change is still in progress, and never had it backfire. It may take a lot of time on the phone but what else is new.
Where I am.....the courts paid me for what an HSP sub decided was not payable because the work orders were lost. The AFS sub before that I can't find. I have a MD judgment against him for $4000.00 + but have not collected penny one.

I have just stopped working for DTV. They think they are businessmen providing a service. Actually they are attempting to get free or cheap labor by circumventing local and national labor laws with their MSP program.
I have one contractual arrangement with a DTV reseller that has paid every penny every time. The rest are either out of the business or are crooks.
If you need the courts to get paid why do it?

When a call center says "I will notate the account with your time at this address...." that is code for we are not paying you for your time,

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.