DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Godfather
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm reroofing the house with steel, everything up there is coming down (and never going back up). I'm in the process of installing a tower in my yard to carry the wireless radio and the dish.

I don't yet have HD TV (I have the TV but not the receiver or dish) but want to get it running. I can get a slimline 5lnb dish off ebay as well as WB68 switches.

I will have one TV running now... with the potential for a second in a few years (one for the kids downstairs) and optionally another elsewhere... also in a few years.

The tower / dish is 100' from the service entry point to the house (garage). There will be another 30' of cable inside the house (garage to wiring board to TV). Future runs to other TV sets will be, probably, another 20-30'.

I get the impression that the dish and wb68 will be sufficient, although it will double the cabling requirements inside the house (and, I believe, also from the tower to the house).

With a SWM, I'd have to mount it at the tower (IIRC, due to max length requirements listed in the 'first look' doc) and could probably get away with mounting the power inserter in the garage (total length from pi to dish would be about 110', accounting for vertical cable length from ground to dish).

If I went 'old school', would I have to run 4 cables from the dish to the switch to serve 2+ TVs or would 2 cables be sufficient? OTOH, if I bought a SWM, or waited for the SWM slimline dishes to be available, then would I only need one cable run from dish to house (and splitters in the house) to serve the TV(s)?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I would go "old school" if I were you, but i would go with a 6x16 powerd multi switch. I think for the length of your runs, and your equipment.Plus you can go to your "garage" or your attic. the PI is only rated for 132 degrees. If you need OTa just diplex it in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.