DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story made short. I have a HR10-250 that died, at least temporarily, which is another story. Anyway, it is under warrenty from the dealer who has worked with his supplier to get my box replaced. I was told that it is a 99% chance that it would be replaced with an HR20. This is fine by me as it gives me a free upgrade. :)

I was also told that since it is replacing a "purchased" box, that it too would be considered a "purchased" box. My question is can I have DTV consider this box a leased box when I activate it, or will they only classify it as "purchase".

Second question, is it better to own or lease the HR20, if both options are free. Opinions are welcome.

Down the road, would DTV replace the purchased box with a lease one if it failed??

They did offer to replace my owned HR10, with a like box. But I chose to have the dealer replace it under the warrenty.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
There is a very good chance they will classifiy it as a lease.
All depends on your vendor's relationship with DirecTV, and how it all get's classified between the two of them.

IMHO; Lease... DirecTV will more readily replace a leased box then a "owned" box... Most likely for no charge, or substantially less depending on age of use.

Then if there is ever a need to replace the box because of technology changes, it shoudl be replaced for free.

Since there is no way to use an HR20 off the DirecTV network... no reason to pay the premium to own it.

·
Icon
777 Posts
I worked with a friend of mine to get her a good deal on an upgrade to a SD DVR. They said that it would be a lease and that DTV would be responsible for any problems. I assume this would apply to all leased receivers.

·
Legend
182 Posts
There are positive things about leasing the equipment...

1. no commitment renewal when you replace receivers that are out of their 90 day warranty

2. If you ever leave D* there isn't any useless equipment setting around your home collecting dust

Bad Things:

3. You still have to pay for service calls, remote control replacements and so on if you don't have their insurance.

4. If you damage the equipment you get slapped with a hefty charge to buy the equipment.

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
There is a very good chance they will classifiy it as a lease.
All depends on your vendor's relationship with DirecTV, and how it all get's classified between the two of them.

IMHO; Lease... DirecTV will more readily replace a leased box then a "owned" box... Most likely for no charge, or substantially less depending on age of use.

Then if there is ever a need to replace the box because of technology changes, it shoudl be replaced for free.

Since there is no way to use an HR20 off the DirecTV network... no reason to pay the premium to own it.
Earl, my feeling is to activate it as a lease also, but there is no vendor/installer involved. I am a current DTV customer. The replacement box is between me a the national distributer, not a installation company. I assume the new box will come in the mail, UPS, etc.... I will hook it up and call DTV to activate. So my original questions stands...

Will DTV allow me to activate this as a lease? Will they give me the choice?? :confused:

As I see it, this is really no different than going to Best Buy, buying a receiver, and having it activated myself.

As a side note, I worked a separate deal with DTV to upgrade my other/functional HR10 along with the 5LNB dish and multiswitch for $99. The terms of that deal, which was notated on my account, was that I could keep this HR10-250 since I bought it orginally. So, I will still have one HR10 to keep, move to another TV, or sell on the open market.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Nolzman said:
Will DTV allow me to activate this as a lease? Will they give me the choice?? :confused:
Activating as a lease is what they *want* you to do and is what they will do by default. Activating as owned is what you would have to fight with them about. So if you have no problem with activating as a lease you don't need to do anything special as that is exactly what they will do for you by default.

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
On your monthly bill. Owned equipment is charged as an "additional receiver", while leased equipment is "lease fee", I think. Same cost, different names.

Carl

·
Legend
115 Posts
After nine years of owning my equipment with Dish, I'm new to both Direct and this leasing thing, so help me out here:

If one of my leased receiver's craps out, I want it repaired or replaced, for free (although I'd be willing to pay for shipping). Is that covered by the lease agreement, or do I need to buy the $5.99/month insurance? I don't care about insurance coverage for remotes, home service calls, etc.-- just the receivers themselves.

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
You will get free replacement (shipping not included) as part of lease. The protection plan will cover shipping as well as remotes, home service calls, etc.

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
DennyC said:
I don't care about insurance coverage for remotes, home service calls, etc.-- just the receivers themselves.
Yes, the lease will cover the receivers. Everything from the cable that plugs into the receiver all the way to the dish itself is not. You shuold be fine without adding the PP.

·
Legend
115 Posts
Thanks, guys-- since the receivers are all I'm concerned about, I just called and told them I'd changed my mind and wanted to drop the $5.99 insurance. Even though I've been a customer for only a month (and haven't even paid the $5.99 yet), they're charging me $10 to make the change.

Normally, I'd squawk about that, but I just wasn't in the mood today... I think I'm battle weary from all the hassles involved in getting the equipment and installation in the first place!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
RxMan1 said:
Where on the D* site does it list the equipment and classify it as leased or owned?
It doesn't. There are two meaningful documents available on the DirecTV website regarding their agreements with residential customers:

1. The Customer Agreement http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P400042
2. The DirecTV Equipment Lease Addendum http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P400042

It is assumed that unless otherwise specified, all receivers are leased. It is safe to assume that if you don't return a receiver, they aren't trading you out to a purchased receiver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.