DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm going to be getting the unit to augment my 3 HR10-250s, I had a question about the caller ID. Currently I'm using modem jacks for two of my HR10s. I believe I read a long, long time ago someone mentioning caller ID only worked when the receiver was directly plugged into a phone jack. Does it still matter? As much as I though I was a TiVo loyalist, I'm actually pretty stoked about getting this new beast. FTM to free up a cable for OTA (If I run 3rd cables I'll be divorced!) and dual buffers would make this the primary box in my house.

Here's to hoping!

·
Banned
614 Posts
tfederov said:
Since I'm going to be getting the unit to augment my 3 HR10-250s, I had a question about the caller ID. Currently I'm using modem jacks for two of my HR10s. I believe I read a long, long time ago someone mentioning caller ID only worked when the receiver was directly plugged into a phone jack. Does it still matter? As much as I though I was a TiVo loyalist, I'm actually pretty stoked about getting this new beast. FTM to free up a cable for OTA (If I run 3rd cables I'll be divorced!) and dual buffers would make this the primary box in my house.

Here's to hoping!
I believe you must connect it to a jack to work properly.

·
Godfather
415 Posts
tfederov said:

Here's to hoping!
Were you hoping the Caller ID info would come over the satellite? :D

Or were you wanting to use some kind of wireless phone jack--is that what you mean by "modem phone jack?" If that's the case, caller ID info usually doesn't transmit across the wireless phone jacks. I think I recently read about one that does, but it's expensive.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
It's odd because before I got my H10 DTivo unit on my livingroom I used to have a regular D* receiver with no DVR of any kind and I recall getting the Caller ID to work with a wireless phone jack on that one. In fact when they installed the H10 my wife was upset cause we lost the Caller ID feature. I do not recall the receiver model number though.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.