DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently became fed up with Charter, and am looking seriously at Dish. My perception previously was that, with lots of TVs in the house, the extra box fees would make Dish cost prohibitive, but maybe that assumption is wrong. What would all of this cost me, over and above the $100 per month for the HD platinum package? (Hope this question isn't too stupid, but I'm just finding my way around this forum.)

2 HD TVs with 2 of the new HD-DVRs (one for downstairs, one for the master -- downrezzed upstairs from the new HD-DVR is not my first choice).

2 more std. def. TVs that will need their own tuning capabilities without interfering with the opportunity to record from the satellite on either of the HD DVRs while simultaneously watching another program on each of those HD-DVRs. In other words, I may want to watch one game while taping another downstairs, while my wife tapes Gray's Anatomy while watching another show upstairs, and all the while, my in-laws need to be able to watch whatever they want in the basement apartment and my kids or a guest may need independent access to other channels on the TV in the guest room.

Am I looking at 2 DVR fees plus 3 extra box fees for all of this?

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
Actually, two 622's would do as both are dual tuner receivers, use tv1 for each HDTV's and use tv2 for the third and fourth sets. Costs would be for Platinum HD, 2 - $6 fees for being HD receivers, no dvr fees as that fee is waived for the Platium pack (among others)

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
That would cost you a bundle. What you outline involves 6 tuners.
2 Watch live and record something downstairs
2 Watch live and record something upstairs
1 Watch live in basement
1 Watch live in guest room
There are circumstances where that can be done with two 622's, but you run into the issue that you can't select two HD DVRs as a new sub. People have been able to get a 2nd 622, but it is far from the norm. Clearly, it is possible if you purchase the 2nd 622. To accomplish what you outlined with two 622s, the Up and Down TVs that require two tuners for their own "wants" would have to be either watching or recording something from the OTA tuner. With one being OTA, each 622 can actually watch/record 3 things. Without OTA, both Up and Down would need their own 622 and the other two rooms could share a SD 625 (or a 322 if they don't need DVR). That is 6 sat tuners to do whatever you want with. DISH has a limit of 4 LEASED tuners on an account. Going on the assumption that you purchase a 622 and lease a 622 and a 322, you'd have two $5.98 DVR fees, one of the 3 receivers wouldn't have an additional fee, one 622 would have a $6/month fee and the 322 would have a $5/month lease fee. That assumes a subscription to HD - something and phone line connection. HD Platinum would waive all DVR fees and you'd be better off getting a 625 instead of a 322.

If you would relax the restrictions that basement and guest HAD to be able to channel surf at all times, you can do it with two HD DVRs. Each room can have access to TV2 from the two dual output receivers and channel surf if that isn't busy recording something. If both DVRs are busy recording, the remote rooms have to watch something already recorded on one or the other DVR. Or, if someone isn't watching something different on a TV1, you can go change that to what the kids want to watch and they can then watch it in the guest room.

Two 622s would get you most of the way there most of the time. But they you run into the obstacle of not being able to lease them both initially.

EDIT: I just noticed you said HD Platinum - that eliminates all the DVR fees.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was afraid of. For all of its drawbacks (and there are many), cable still offers me its analog service of over 50 channels in as many rooms as I want for no additional charge. So, right now I can have two DVRs from Charter and still hook up independent TVs in lots of other rooms. I'm nevertheless tempted to go to Dish, but with 4 adults and two kids living in the house, the ability to independently run multiple TVs is a pretty big perk to surrender. For example, my scenario above already assumes that I would just give up my TV in the workout room.

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to give it some more thought. One possibility is that I heard from a friend that I'd still get analog cable, without paying for it, if I keep using Charter for high speed internet -- purportedly, they pump analog in automatically if you have the internet service by itself. If that's true, maybe I can keep cable in the extra rooms through my subscription to high speed internet service, which I'll keep through Charter no matter what, plus add Dish in the main rooms. I'm skeptical of the claim that I'd get the basic cable for nothing, however. Does anyone know if this is true?

· Super Moderator
54,187 Posts
Locally they put a block on the cable if one only pays for internet.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
James Long said:
Locally they put a block on the cable if one only pays for internet.
So much for that idea. It sounded too good to be true to me, so I'm not surprised.

This is really a quandry. I like having TVs all over the house (guest room, in-laws' suite, workout room, great room and master), but Charter really has ticked me off and they don't have that many HD channels.

By the way, I have one other rudimentary question: I live in Atlanta and I frequently spend weekends at my parents' vacation home in north Florida. Can you have a second dish at the vacation home and take the box back and forth, or is that prohibited or prevented somehow?

· AllStar
63 Posts
Blues said:
So much for that idea. It sounded too good to be true to me, so I'm not surprised.
Yes, what James said is correct, however I know several people that they either left the filters off or otherwise missed, because they can still pick up the basic channels. So, don't bank on it, but you might get lucky.
However, you may want to check with the cable company. Usually the cost of internet access is higher if you don't carry any TV service, but some providers charge less for basic cable than that difference. In otherwords, sometimes basic+internet is the same price or cheaper than internet alone. Not always, but definitely worth investigating.

Good luck!

· Icon
631 Posts
Another option would be to put up an antenna, the 622 will modulate both tv1 and tv2. With two 622s and an antenna your secondary sets will have access to any local channels (in digital if the set has a digital tuner built in) and 4 in house channels. Having an antenna will also allow you to record local HD without tying up a satellite tuner.

· Super Moderator
54,187 Posts
TV2 on the 622 will not tune OTA channels, only satellite HD/SD.

TV1 is the only one that can view live or record OTA ATSC signals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.