DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new here, and this may be a silly question...but, does Dish Network allow their users to purchase receivers/DVRs from places other than themselves? Such as eBay or from a individual?

Here's my delimma:

I currently have BOTH Dish & Comcast in the house (4 tv's, 2 with dish, 2 with comcast basic). This is pretty wasteful, so I am getting ready to DUMP comcast basic cable. I *do not* want to lease these receivers, because I enjoy the freedom of *not* being under a contract...and quite frankly, Dish's prices are quite high for the brand-new receivers (gotta save $$ in a recession!).

I currently have 1 receiver with a 'transmitter' that shoots a signal to 2nd TV, but I need another 2 SD receivers for the other TVs in the house.

If I purchase 2 receivers through ebay, how would I go about installing these? Would I have to crawl under the house to find some contraption to hook the coax cables to?

Thanks for all your help! Love these forums!

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
You can buy receivers from other sources. If the receiver has been used, you need to get the receiver number (R00xxxxxxxx) and call Dish to verify that the receiver in question was:

- owned (not leased)
- has no balance owed on it
- is otherwise able to be transferred to another account.

Beware that there are plenty of folks on eBay and Craigslist who will try to sell you a leased receiver (which is Dish's property) or a receiver tied to an account with an outstanding balance, either of which will make the receiver useless to you. Always check the R# with Dish, and I recommend calling and speaking to 2 different CSRs, just to be sure.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
A DISH 322 receiver is a SD receiver with 2 tuners and 2 outputs. This sounds like your current setup a receiver in 1 room and only a remote in the second room. When connected to a telephone line this is cheaper each month than 2 receivers.

Installation is going to depend on your existing equipment. The most common system is a dish 500 with a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB. This allows for connection of two Dual Receivers to one dish. You will need a second cable run from the dish to the location where the 322 is located.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.