DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here's a question. If a customer wanted to replace one of their existing MRV DVRs with an HR34, and this meant getting a bigger SWM installed, could they arrange all of that through DirecTV, or do they have to purchase the HR34 through a company like Solid Signal in order to guarantee getting a specific DVR, and then arrange for D* to come out and change the SWM to accommodate it?

In the past, it was simple....if you wanted the latest DVR, you had to purchase it through an authorized dealer. But because the HR34 has five tuners, some people are going to need to upgrade their SWM to accommodate it.

I wonder if this would now have to be a two step process....buy the HR34 from a company like SS, and then set an appointment for D* to come out and upgrade your install, or will D* allow you to buy an HR34 through them and come out to do the upgrade?

I've decided to stay with my three HR24s, but I can see the above scenario playing out in some form. :)
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
136 Posts
"TDK1044" said:
So, here's a question. If a customer wanted to replace one of their existing MRV DVRs with an HR34, and this meant getting a bigger SWM installed, could they arrange all of that through DirecTV, or do they have to purchase the HR34 through a company like Solid Signal in order to guarantee getting a specific DVR, and then arrange for D* to come out and change the SWM to accommodate it?

In the past, it was simple....if you wanted the latest DVR, you had to purchase it through an authorized dealer. But because the HR34 has five tuners, some people are going to need to upgrade their SWM to accommodate it.

I wonder if this would now have to be a two step process....buy the HR34 from a company like SS, and then set an appointment for D* to come out and upgrade your install, or will D* allow you to buy an HR34 through them and come out to do the upgrade?

I've decided to stay with my three HR24s, but I can see the above scenario playing out in some form. :)
The HR34 is not an HDDVR, it is a Home Media Center with a new set of exclusive features. This means that it will be available if asked for. It will be available for lease directly from DIRECTV for existing subscriber sometime soon, which would have professional installation required that will include your SWM upgrade.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an HD DVR that can also function as the center of the media center. DirecTV states that it's compatible with Whole Home DVR, so some people are just going to want to add it as an additional DVR or replace an existing one.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To put it another way....If a customer wants to buy an HR34 to add to their Whole Home DVR ( as D* states they can technically do) and not to function as part of the Media Center, will D* allow you to specify that DVR to purchase and also set up an install upgrade? :)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,510 Posts
TDK1044 said:
To put it another way....If a customer wants to buy an HR34 to add to their Whole Home DVR ( as D* states they can technically do) and not to function as part of the Media Center, will D* allow you to specify that DVR to purchase and also set up an install upgrade? :)
Yes. No matter how you use it, it is a Home Media Center in their ordering system. (We know this because some new customers have copied their order details.)

Of course, there will be mistakes as existing customer begin ordering these boxes. People will order it by model number (HR34), and the CSR will hear HR24. It would be then ordered incorrectly. Just like when we hear a customer has gotten a DVR for free, and they assume it will be an HD DVR, and then it turns out to be an SD DVR. It doesn't happen often, but it does, and will, happen.
 

·
1*
Joined
·
10,289 Posts
DogLover is right. When available to current customers, you will be able to call up DirecTV and order a HR34. Installation will generally be included at no cost, which would include upgrading any components necessary.

If you order the HR34 from a retailer you can still have DIrecTV come out do the install, which would include upgrading components if necessary, but you will most likely have to for the install which will probably range from $50 to $100.

- Merg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,492 Posts
Hr34 = hmc hd dvr
hr21, hr22, hr23, hr24 = hd dvr
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
136 Posts
"Drucifer" said:
Hr34 = hmc hd dvr
hr21, hr22, hr23, hr24 = hd dvr
Does anyone believe that DBSTalk visitors may benefit from an HMC subforum?

There have been so many varying questions about features, gui, availability, clients, and installation requirements that a central location might be convenient. The HMC may also be DIRECTVs focus going forward?

Just a thought.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top