DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with the HR20 scheduler's logic when I need to schedule multiple Series Links that overlap some of the time.

Program A is on Sunday at 9. Program B is on Sunday at 9. They're both set up with Series Links, and are both scheduled to record.

Now, I'm trying to add a Series Link for Program C. Program C also has an airing Sunday at 9. I realize I will not get that airing if Program C is lower in priority than A and B. But I want to record the OTHER available airings of Program C.

When doing this type of thing on the DirecTiVo, each Season Pass you add comes in at a lower priority than the ones before it. Therefore, trying to add Program C would give you a conflict warning screen that shows which airings WILL record, and which airings WON'T. You can then choose to add the Season Pass anyway (which puts it at the bottom of the list) or choose "Get All" (which puts it at the top).

On the HR20, though, when I try to do this I receive a screen that asks me to cancel Sunday's recording of either Program A or Program B. There is no way to say "skip this airing of Program C, but record the others".

I can't see any way of airing a Series Link for Program C without canceling the recording of Program A or Program B.

·
Legend
187 Posts
Schyler said:
I'm having a problem with the HR20 scheduler's logic when I need to schedule multiple Series Links that overlap some of the time.

Program A is on Sunday at 9. Program B is on Sunday at 9. They're both set up with Series Links, and are both scheduled to record.

Now, I'm trying to add a Series Link for Program C. Program C also has an airing Sunday at 9. I realize I will not get that airing if Program C is lower in priority than A and B. But I want to record the OTHER available airings of Program C.

When doing this type of thing on the DirecTiVo, each Season Pass you add comes in at a lower priority than the ones before it. Therefore, trying to add Program C would give you a conflict warning screen that shows which airings WILL record, and which airings WON'T. You can then choose to add the Season Pass anyway (which puts it at the bottom of the list) or choose "Get All" (which puts it at the top).

On the HR20, though, when I try to do this I receive a screen that asks me to cancel Sunday's recording of either Program A or Program B. There is no way to say "skip this airing of Program C, but record the others".

I can't see any way of airing a Series Link for Program C without canceling the recording of Program A or Program B.
The quick answer. Delete the series link for series A then add a series Link for Series C, then add the series link for series A again, and move it ahead in the prioritizer.

This is only an issue if you are trying to schedule the series link for series C when series A and B are already scheduled for the same time. See my thread on why I can't record Doctor Who for a discussion of problems that are occuring with the scheduler when you have Series A, B, and C at the same time and want to record a later airing of series C.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would that not just give me the same option to cancel one of the scheduled shows?

Even if it works, it's a long way to go for something that simple.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm... Possibly. I didn't try that. It might work, but if it does - well, that just raises further questions.

Why would setting a Series Link have any sort of association with a specific episode?

It doesn't seem like it should matter where you get to the Series Link setup from - search results, guide listings, list items... it should all produce the same series ID for the scheduler...

·
Legend
187 Posts
Schyler said:
Why would that not just give me the same option to cancel one of the scheduled shows?

Even if it works, it's a long way to go for something that simple.
It won't give you the option to cancel one of the scheduled shows because series A would not be scheduled any more.

Yes it is longer than the two seconds it takes to normally set up a series link with this box, but still it wouldn't take more than a minute or so.

·
Godfather
318 Posts
I just thought that you could make a series link specific to a date and time. Say you don't want to watch Dexter on Sunday nights because of conflicts, but you would like to record it on Tuesday nights. I don't know if series links work like that, but I think they should.

·
Legend
187 Posts
I don't think so, and I don't think Tivo does that either. However, my cable HD DVR I had before I got the HR-20 did actually let you record a season pass like that. You could actually choose to record the show in a specific timeslot. You don't get that option in the HR-20.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
You can set up a recurring manual recording. That's what I did for South Park since I had two other SL's on at Weds at 10 pm, so I just set up a recurring manual recording at midnight to catch then new ones. The problem I'm having is that for some of the MTV shows, it doesn't look like they repeat them on a set schedule, so it doesn't seem like that's possible for that. But if they consistently air the new one at a specific time after the first run, that could work.

·
Icon
777 Posts
I have series links for 3 shows Monday night at 9pm. Since Enterprise re-runs at midnight, it always shows with a broken red icon at 9pm, and nothing for the midnight airing. However, around 10:30 or so a single "R" icon magically appears for the midnight showing.

·
Mentor
42 Posts
mtnagel said:
You can set up a recurring manual recording. That's what I did for South Park since I had two other SL's on at Weds at 10 pm, so I just set up a recurring manual recording at midnight to catch then new ones.
Mtnagel, are you getting recurring manual recordings to work consistently? I agree that recurring manual recordings are the obvious solution to this problem, but I'm having a devil of a time trying to do that with SportsCenter. Other users have reported lots of problems with recurring manual recordings as well.

In my experience, the HR20 arbitrarily refuses to schedule manual recordings (once it took a week for the recording to take effect!), sometimes "schedules" multiple recordings of the same show in the same time slot, and other times just never records the time slot. Ever.

Please tell me your secret!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
DLite said:
Mtnagel, are you getting recurring manual recordings to work consistently? I agree that recurring manual recordings are the obvious solution to this problem, but I'm having a devil of a time trying to do that with SportsCenter. Other users have reported lots of problems with recurring manual recordings as well.

In my experience, the HR20 arbitrarily refuses to schedule manual recordings (once it took a week for the recording to take effect!), sometimes "schedules" multiple recordings of the same show in the same time slot, and other times just never records the time slot. Ever.

Please tell me your secret!
I wish I knew the secret. I've only had the recurring manual recording for one week and it worked then. Tomorrow night is the 2nd week and it's in my To Do list, so hopefully it will work.

And actually, I set up a recurring manual recording (we need an acronym for that; RMR :) ) for Sport Center for next Monday morning (I only care about the one after Sunday football), so we'll see how that goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.