DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) I will be adding 4 new receivers to my home. I currently only have 1 receiver
a) Will D* install the new cables to the new rooms at no charge?

2) I would like to mirror 2 additional TV's off a spare bedroom receiver.
a) Will D* install the cables to the additional TV's no charge to mirror? The Spare Bedroom is on the 2nd floor and the Mirrrored units will be in the fisrt floor and in the basement.

3) In the master bedroom I will be installing a large Flatscreen TV. I would like to have an HD receiver.
a) What is the best HD receiver on the market to install here? The receiver needs to be super fast and user freindly. I don't need a DVR since I will have a DVR in the Family room. Is there another brand or model that is better than what D* currently offers. Maybe a Sony or other name brand?

4) Need 3 Additional receivers in kids rooms.
a) What is the best Receiver on the market that has a RF Signal, fast and user freindly for the kids room. It does not have to be HD although if the better units are only in HD then that is what I will consider.

Thanks! :)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
1) Depends on the extent of the wiring needed... and the deal you get from DirecTV at the time... usually basic wiring is included

2) No, they usually won't do that... but I am sure your installer would do it for an extra fee

3) The H20's are DirecTV branded, and are the only MPEG-4 compliant non-dvr HD receivers that DirecTV has. There ar no longer any 3rd party vendors, authorized to create equipment for DirecTV

4) R15 DVR has unofficial support for RF (as in RF remote)... If you are referring to RF output... then you have the D11 as the newest. Other then then that, you would have to research older used models.

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl,

Once again thanks for answering my questions! You have a wealth of knowledge.

Question?
1) I'm not sure what a RF output will does? When I was talking about a RF, I was thinking about a RF remote. I like to keep my options open so that I do not have to install the receiver in a line of site area. I may want to install all the receivers on a rack.
2) Is there any disadvantages of having a RF Remote? The only problem that I can see is that I may have a problem finding a Universal remote compatable with a RF signal.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
The RF output allows you to connect the receiver to the antenna input of your TV (set to channel 3 or 4). This generally gives poorer picture quality (and is 480i at best), but will work with TVs not having other inputs. Some people split this output to run the signal to several rooms (with RF remotes).

Compatible universal RF remotes are probably hard to find. I understand that the Logitech Harmony 890 will work with some devices in RF mode, but is mainly used with its own IR extender (it's not cheap either).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.