DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting an HD LCD 32 inch tv. It has a built in hdtv tuner. So does that mean I can still use my standard samsumg dual tuner tivo and receive HD channels, and just not be able to record in HD? Also it doesn't have HDMI or DVI, I don't plan on hooking my computer up to it, its only going to be for watching tv. I have a home theather but it doesn't have any HDMI or DVI connections anyway and neither does the samsung tivo unit. I just want to make sure I will still be able to receive HD channels without having to upgrade to directv's dual tuner tivo HD unit which I have heard is in very very short supply and you will have to wait months for it.

Thanks

·
Mentor
34 Posts
enigma96 said:
I am thinking about getting an HD LCD 32 inch tv. It has a built in hdtv tuner. So does that mean I can still use my standard samsumg dual tuner tivo and receive HD channels, and just not be able to record in HD? Also it doesn't have HDMI or DVI, I don't plan on hooking my computer up to it, its only going to be for watching tv. I have a home theather but it doesn't have any HDMI or DVI connections anyway and neither does the samsung tivo unit. I just want to make sure I will still be able to receive HD channels without having to upgrade to directv's dual tuner tivo HD unit which I have heard is in very very short supply and you will have to wait months for it.

Thanks
Get the standard d* HD tuner. Your samsung won't get HD for you regardless of the built in tuner.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Your TV's built-in tuner will receive local over-the-air digital TV stations using an antenna, or your cable company's unscrambled digital TV channels. But it will not tune any of DirecTV's satellite HD channels. You'll need an HD DirecTV Receiver or DVR for those.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
For D* non-DVR HD Receiver: Model H20
For D* HD-DVR Receiver: model HR20

Both are MPEG4

If you can find an HR10-250 that is HD as well. However, it's in MPEG2 and you won't be able to get HD locals from D*. You would have to use OTA as Litzdog said.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,865 Posts
enigma96 said:
Also it doesn't have HDMI or DVI, I don't plan on hooking my computer up to it, its only going to be for watching tv.
I would not contemplate a HDTV that didn't have HDMI. You would be limiting your HD content to what was available OTA and screwing yourself out of HDTV content from cable, satellite and either of the High Definition DVD formats.

Does this TV have component (YPbPr) inputs?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,865 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Your TV's built-in tuner will receive local over-the-air digital TV stations using an antenna, or your cable company's unscrambled digital TV channels.
I wouldn't be so sure about QAM compatibility. While cable must offer the HD locals unscrambled, they aren't required to offer it in ATSC.

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the LCD I am thinking about getting:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5359008

My budget is $600 that is it, no higher. And I would like a 32 inch, if need be I would go as low as a 27 inch but that would be it. I called Directv and the HD DRV is in very very short supply and they told me to put my name on a waiting list, and it would be at least 2 months before they had one for me :-( Anyway how is this LCD for a beginner and entry level...

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,865 Posts
Clearly, this model has HDMI, so I'm surprised that you said that it didn't.

In looking for reviews, I could find only a handful. Most said that it was pretty good but the audio was quite poor.

I see from the Visco website that it uses the NEC (Nippon Electric Company) remote control codes which may or may not be compatible with your satellite remote. I see that version 2 of that model uses Sony remote codes, so I'm sure it was a problem for many.

I'd keep shopping through New Years if you don't plan on giving it as a gift as there were similar units going for under $500 on Black Friday.

IF you can get HD programming OTA, this should meet your stated needs. You need to consider whether or not it will work with an HD satellite receiver as some of the more obscure brands require special support to work via HDMI connections. I have a three year old RCA HDTV that doesn't get along with much of anything even though it supports HDCP.

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok here's another question, what HD DVR to get? The Tivo series 3 is like $800 which is a total rip off price wise :) Then their is the HR20 which I can get from Circuit City for $300 or I can get a HR10 from Ebay for like $200 and that is a tivo. Or I can cancel directv all together and get comcast and they will give me a HD DVR for free and they have more HD programming.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,865 Posts
enigma96 said:
Ok here's another question, what HD DVR to get?
For use with DirecTV, you have exactly two HD DVR options: HR10 and HR20. The useful life of the HR10 for discerning HDTV viewers is probably about two years on the outside. The TiVo Series 3 is not an option for use with DirecTV.

Depending on your cable provider, TiVo S3 may not be an option there either.

I would suggest that a better approach would be to decide which programming carrier to go with and then see what's available hardware wise. You may end up with something that you hadn't contemplated previously (FIOS or Dish Network).

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One other question, I wouldn't need to upgrade my dish outside will I? I already have the lastest one I think...

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
enigma96 said:
It was installed about a year ago...
Well, chances are you have the 3-LNB or Phase III as both refer to the same dish.
This dish will get you all the MPEG2 HD channels D* has to offer, but that does not include the HD locals.

If you want HD locals from D*, then you need the 5-LNB or Model AT9 which receives D*'s MPEG4 feeds.
If can can get OTA HD locals then the HR10-250 will be fine for your needs.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
HDTVsportsfan said:
Well, chances are you have the 3-LNB or Phase III as both refer to the same dish.
This dish will get you all the MPEG2 HD channels D* has to offer, but that does not include the HD locals.

If you want HD locals from D*, then you need the 5-LNB or Model AT9 which receives D*'s MPEG4 feeds.
If can can get OTA HD locals then the HR10-250 will be fine for your needs.
Also don't forget to mention that D* will typically come to change your dish and multiswitch over for free, since you'll be signing up for a 2 year commitment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.