DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been clearing out some old equipment I have and came across some of the gen1 HD receivers/DVRs and wondering if there's any way these can be used.
Some of the equipment I'm wondering about:
Sony SAT-HD100, SAT-HD300
ProScan PSHD-105
Tivo HD10-250 (I know the HDVR2's are a no go as those are std-def MPEG2 only)

Since these are all MPEG4 receivers do they still work?

I'm also curious if the HD10-250's can be used to record OTA broadcasts since Directv doesn't carry any of the local subchannels. I'm not sure if the Tivos can even work without getting the guides from Directv.

I suspect at the least I'll need to do something like what's done on our HD20 to filter out the SWM inserted power.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I've been clearing out some old equipment I have and came across some of the gen1 HD receivers/DVRs and wondering if there's any way these can be used.
Some of the equipment I'm wondering about:
Sony SAT-HD100, SAT-HD300
ProScan PSHD-105
Tivo HD10-250 (I know the HDVR2's are a no go as those are std-def MPEG2 only)

Since these are all MPEG4 receivers do they still work?

I'm also curious if the HD10-250's can be used to record OTA broadcasts since Directv doesn't carry any of the local subchannels. I'm not sure if the Tivos can even work without getting the guides from Directv.

I suspect at the least I'll need to do something like what's done on our HD20 to filter out the SWM inserted power.
RECYCLE all --is your only option --NONE can be sold or used if any could be they may or may not be activated only on your account --TIVO's are dead

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,663 Posts
The HR10-250 is a mpeg2, not a mpeg4 IRD. You can only get OTA’s in HD and that’s it, everything else is SD.

They can still be used while deactivated for OTA broadcasts with trickplay and buffer options, but no more recording. You can still play all the recordings saved on the DVR though, the ones that existed when you deactivated the unit.

I still use a couple of the HR10’s for other TV’s around the house that we don’t use much, and to watch older content that is no longer broadcast anymore. All the other ones listed- recycle.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,645 Posts
None of those boxes are SWiM compatible. This is a almost certainly a show-stopper for you if you have a SWiM system.

Based on anecdotal reports from the wild, DIRECTV/AT&T probably won't activate MPEG2 (as all of those are) equipment anymore.

Properly wired, the SWiM splitter(s) (or the PI itself if there are no splitters) prevents the PI power from reaching any of the receivers. There PI only sends power toward the LNB.

The HR20-3 "special wiring" is a result of not having DECA (DIRECTV's flavor of MoCA) functionality built in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, sadly I guess I need to recycle.

@codespy, are you saying the HD10 can't record OTA HD? I thought it could in both 720 and 1080 but I don't think I ever tried. I never got around to doing the Dylan boot disk hack on the HD10 like the HDVR2s so I never had a chance to examine the streams.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,663 Posts
When DVR service is ‘Active’, yes you can record any channel, but the receiver must be activated on the account. Once deactivated, no recording can occur on the HR10.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.