DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
AllStar
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed lots of the old 'easy' dishes in the past, but have never installed any of the AT9 dishes. With the old dishes, I would just use the signal meters from the receivers to fine tune the dish. For the AT9, I picked up an acutrac 22 pro. I've never used an in-line signal meter before, so I have a newbie question before I get up on the rooof.
In the installation manual, it says 'set the in-line signal meter for 101 degree RHCP reception (13 volts with no 22khz tone).
I know how to set the acutrac22 for no 22khz tone, and I know that I need to make sure to point a bit further east to hit the 101, but how do I set the signal meter for the 101 degree RHCP reception? Does the acutrac22 actually tell me that I'm hitting 101? If not, how do I know that's what the signal meter is looking at?

Thanks in advance.

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
I'm sure one of the experts will chime in. From what I remember you must look at the transponder list on the receiver. The 101 has only a few transponders that will give you a signal!!! The 110 has almost all transponders with a signal. If you search around this forum you should find how many transponders are on for the 101 bird but I think it is under 6. So if you aim the dish with the accutrak, go look at the receiver and check the transponder list for 101 and 110. If you get a signal from only 3 or so transponders on the 110 signal meter menu then you are aimed at the 101 bird.. I did see a list of the transponders somewhere in this forum.

·
Banned
614 Posts
edpowers said:
I've installed lots of the old 'easy' dishes in the past, but have never installed any of the AT9 dishes. With the old dishes, I would just use the signal meters from the receivers to fine tune the dish. For the AT9, I picked up an acutrac 22 pro. I've never used an in-line signal meter before, so I have a newbie question before I get up on the rooof.
In the installation manual, it says 'set the in-line signal meter for 101 degree RHCP reception (13 volts with no 22khz tone).
I know how to set the acutrac22 for no 22khz tone, and I know that I need to make sure to point a bit further east to hit the 101, but how do I set the signal meter for the 101 degree RHCP reception? Does the acutrac22 actually tell me that I'm hitting 101? If not, how do I know that's what the signal meter is looking at?

Thanks in advance.
Click on each of the video segments to watch program. Part III depicts the acutrac 22 pro.
http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/at9_install_videos.asp

You can download each for future reference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
capted said:
I'm sure one of the experts will chime in. From what I remember you must look at the transponder list on the receiver. The 101 has only a few transponders that will give you a signal!!! The 110 has almost all transponders with a signal. If you search around this forum you should find how many transponders are on for the 101 bird but I think it is under 6. So if you aim the dish with the accutrak, go look at the receiver and check the transponder list for 101 and 110. If you get a signal from only 3 or so transponders on the 110 signal meter menu then you are aimed at the 101 bird.. I did see a list of the transponders somewhere in this forum.
You got it backwards. The 101 has all transponders enabled and the 110 only has 3. Don't forget that the new dish is centered on 101 not 110 like the 3lnb dish.

·
Super Moderator
12,887 Posts
13 volts selects RHCP, 18 volts selects LHCP. 22KHz tone on selects 110/119. 22KHz tone off selects 101.

One of the connectors on the accutrac supports the tone, the other does not (don't recall which is which, and mine is on loan at the moment so I can't look at it).

If you have the coax from the receiver going to the meter, you can use the receiver to select the voltage and polarity. Use channels 490 through 494.

As someone else noted, the AT9 is aimed at the 101 slot - whereas the 3LNB was aimed at 110. If you are replacing an older round dish, it would have been pointed at 101.

Carl

·
Mentor
47 Posts
edpowers said:

Thanks in advance.
Ed this isn't as bad as it sounds.. Watch the videos at solidsignal, and read and re-read the manual a few times. I found things are much better if you drive the Acutrac22 with a receiver, other wise you will run out of battery pretty fast. I have a few post about an AT9 install I did on here. One thing that happened to me was I was aimed at the wrong Sat at first. So getting an accurate azimuth location is critical.

Did you get the mono-pole also?

Greg

·
AllStar
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK thanks for everybody's help. Now the acutrac makes sense to me ... basically I can dial in the 119 on top (with 22khz tone, 13 volts) and the 101 on the bottom (no 22khz tone, 13 volts). It explains this in the acutrac manual for using the Phase III dish, but I just wasn't sure if I should do the same thing with the AT9. Now I'll just follow the instructions on the videos/manual.

Hey Greg, if I hook it up to the receiver, will the acutrac function in the same setup as above? I'll make sure point further east (compared to phaseIII) to hit the 101! I have not received the monopole yet ... is this something I can easily add-on next week, or will I need to repeat the fine-tuning steps?

·
Mentor
47 Posts
edpowers said:
OK thanks for everybody's help. Now the acutrac makes sense to me ... basically I can dial in the 119 on top (with 22khz tone, 13 volts) and the 101 on the bottom (no 22khz tone, 13 volts). It explains this in the acutrac manual for using the Phase III dish, but I just wasn't sure if I should do the same thing with the AT9. Now I'll just follow the instructions on the videos/manual.

Hey Greg, if I hook it up to the receiver, will the acutrac function in the same setup as above? I'll make sure point further east (compared to phaseIII) to hit the 101! I have not received the monopole yet ... is this something I can easily add-on next week, or will I need to repeat the fine-tuning steps?
Ed, here is what I ended up doing to get an accurate azimuth. I found that if I got close to the dish with a compass it would not read correct. So I extended the center point of the dish. (I mounted mine on the roof) There is a hole on back mounting bracket that I placed a string through and make a loop and put a nail in the loop to hold the string. I then pulled string taught and as parallel to the bracket sides. Now with the string a few feet behind the dish I just lined up my compass to the string. This ended up getting me pretty close right out of the shoot.

I still haven't been up on the roof to add my mono-poll yet, so I'm guessing it can wait a little while. But if you're doing a wall/eve mount install the sooner the better I'd say. When I do add mine I plan on doing a compete re-alignment again. Your call. Once I figured out what I was doing it wasn't that bad.

As far as hooking up the receiver, I'm think it functions exactly the same, just that the Accutrac22 will draw it's power from the receiver not the batteries. (I think, maybe someone here can confirm).

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
edpowers said:
I have not received the monopole yet ... is this something I can easily add-on next week, or will I need to repeat the fine-tuning steps?
You can add the monopoles later (you should use two), but you'll likely need to retweak your dish alignment after you install them.

·
AllStar
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to follow up ... I installed the dish over the weekend and it was surprisingly easy. I've installed a lot of the other dishes, but never had an in-line signal meter in the past. The fact that I had the acutrac22 pro made the fine-tuning a breeze. I also really like the addition of the fine-tuning bolts compared to the other old dishes. I just followed the manual directions step by step and ended up with nearly all transponders in the mid to high 90s. I'll still need to add the monopoles, but that should be an easy add-on (even if I need to repeat fine tuning)

·
Banned
614 Posts
edpowers said:
Just to follow up ... I installed the dish over the weekend and it was surprisingly easy. I've installed a lot of the other dishes, but never had an in-line signal meter in the past. The fact that I had the acutrac22 pro made the fine-tuning a breeze. I also really like the addition of the fine-tuning bolts compared to the other old dishes. I just followed the manual directions step by step and ended up with nearly all transponders in the mid to high 90s. I'll still need to add the monopoles, but that should be an easy add-on (even if I need to repeat fine tuning)
:)

·
Legend
139 Posts
edpowers said:
Well done!

If you want to move to the PacNW, I'll hire you as a tech!

·
5 Posts
Please Help,

I just attempted to install the AT9 on my roof and I am having some trouble. I have checked and rechecked my steps and I think I am forgeting something. I've made sure all my measurements are correct and I am using the Acutrac22 pro. The meter is teling me I have a max signal but I cant get a good signal reading with my receiver.

My readings are as follows:
Sat 101 = 74% Sat 103 = 0% Sat 110 = 74% Sat 119 = 75% Sat 99 = 0

Also I have a clear view of the sky. I know it must be something simple but I cat figure it out.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
tinyt said:
I have the H20
Those numbers are fine for 101/110/119 with the H20. Do you get HD locals? If so you should get a reading on at least one transponder on 99 or 103 (it takes much longer for the receiver to indicate a reading on these).

·
5 Posts
I am getting locals but they appear to be a bit snowy , also from time to time I am getting a little crankle sound in the feed. I am still not getting anything on 99/103

·
Legend
192 Posts
litzdog911 said:
You can add the monopoles later (you should use two), but you'll likely need to retweak your dish alignment after you install them.
YMMV.....I installed two monopoles a month or so after original install and did not have to re-tweak the dish.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
tinyt said:
I am getting locals but they appear to be a bit snowy , also from time to time I am getting a little crankle sound in the feed. I am still not getting anything on 99/103
Are those OTA locals or do they come via the satellite? Digital signals aren't usually "snowy". The H20 doesn't correctly indicate the 99 transponders, but that doesn't affect reception. Which DMA are you in?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.