DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Dish Home has caused many problems with my 4900, and others 4900s and 3900s with random receiver lockups and crashes. Receivers have to be reset by pulling the power or smartcard. Will you fix the problem before sending it to the 501s (PLEASE!)?

12,527 Posts
This is big news to the people looking at paying huge amounts of money to record HBO-HD and Showtime-HD, and to those who recently have. The 5000 with HD modulator was the only way to record HD signals off of satellite, and with this upgrade, that ability goes the way of the dinosaur. Yes, this affects only a very small number of people, but those people have a lot of money invested in their equipment don't think that this is not a big deal.

Of course, on the other hand, Dish has never supported the recording of HD material, and really has no choice but to shut it down to appease the MPAA. And, in the long run, this move will bring me more HDTV, so as one of the people that didn't pick up a 5000 and modulator to record HD, I'm all for it. I am looking very much forward to the upcoming Discovery-HD channel.

12,527 Posts
I don't know about the Dishplayer, psecic, but the locals in the 232-248 range, and the rest of them in the 700's aren't taking any additional bandwidth because they are mirrored onto those channels from their base channels. One signal mapped over several different channels. Of course, if they are duplicated on the conus beams and spot beams at the same time, then they take additional bandwidth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.