DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
1) I understand that the 301 has caller id now
2) No the Dishpro LNBS and switches will onlyh with with Dishpro receivers. In order for them to work with older legacy receivers you will need a special adaptor on each legacy receiver.
3) The 721 will be out in very limited quanaties at the end of May. The 522 is due early next year.
4) I dont have an answer for that one. :D

G

·
I would like to see final answers and reasons E* can't offer...

OpenTV on the 6000. MSRP $499 (flag ship 2001)
All Sub on the 5000. MSRP $399 (flag ship 1998)

E* appears more interested in investing upgrade dollars into their low end receivers. So given the existing formula, a sub looking to upgrade equipment, or a new sub looking to buy equipment should not invest any money into any E* (flag ship) models. The equipment will be quickly be abandoned by E*.

· Legend in my own mind
552 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if the Tech Forum is still going to be aired.
It's not listed in the EPG and it isn't posted on Dishnetwork's web site.:shrug:

· Icon
708 Posts
E* promised All Sub for the 5000 on one of the Charlie Chat's, then later retracted, using the not enough memory excuse. E* will probably pull that same excuse out for the 6000. Agree that the two most expensive models made (less the JVC D player) get the back seat of upgrades every time.

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
The 5000 is dead.
No, it's not. To say so is simply an exaggeration. It may eventually be dead for those with the HDTV module, but this is a small subset of 5000 owners. None of my model 5000 customers that I am aware of have the HDTV module. This is no big deal in the whole scheme of things.
(BTW this is the BIG NEWS that I have been hinting to over the past few days)
I hope you get more significant news next time. ;)

· Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
This is big news to the people looking at paying huge amounts of money to record HBO-HD and Showtime-HD, and to those who recently have. The 5000 with HD modulator was the only way to record HD signals off of satellite, and with this upgrade, that ability goes the way of the dinosaur. Yes, this affects only a very small number of people, but those people have a lot of money invested in their equipment don't think that this is not a big deal.

Of course, on the other hand, Dish has never supported the recording of HD material, and really has no choice but to shut it down to appease the MPAA. And, in the long run, this move will bring me more HDTV, so as one of the people that didn't pick up a 5000 and modulator to record HD, I'm all for it. I am looking very much forward to the upcoming Discovery-HD channel.

· Founder
17,247 Posts
Originally posted by Rking401

This is no big deal in the whole scheme of things.
You are correct but it does hold significance to many people and very well worth knowing especially to those who were planning to spend large amounts of money to get their hands on the equipment.

Also, just today, we have already had over 2000 extra visitors reading just that one story. Sure, it may not effect them directly but it could effect their future purchases.

· New Texan
11,467 Posts
According to my 501 guide... (times listed Pacific)...

101 - 6-7p Live Technical Forum
251 - 6-7p Live Technical Forum

The question now is... will TNGTony, the transponder chart god, be providing the transcript? :D

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Z'Loth to answer your question, no TNGTony will not be doing the transcript, he is taking a well deserved vacation, I understand hes driving up North to see sights he has never seen before.

He will be back in a few weeks though.

I hope he has a great vacation!

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
So what format will it be in? What receiver can view it? what upgrade path is provided?

· Hall Of Fame
1,036 Posts
As long as they take care of the 5000 owners then it's no big deal. Except that they go from 2 HD channels to 3 per transponder. That is if I read Scott's story right. A 1/3 increase in HD is big. Even bigger if I had HDTV. :)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.