DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Thinking of trying to make the switch to satellite from cable. Couple questions:

Does the HD DVR need to be connected to a landline or internet connection?
If not, is there a charge for not having this connected?

I live in Tacoma Washington and would be interested only in HD programming, would I only need one dish mounted?

How large are the HD capable dishes?

Since Dish wants a 24 month commitment does anyone know if that commitment is binding if they have been found to violate the patent with Tivo? Would I be able to leave Dish if they could no longer offer DVR service for a period of time?

Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
You can connect with either method you described, the fee for not connecting is $5 per month. In Washington, one dish would do, but you have better signal strength if you use two. Local installers in your area would have the best info on this.
Size of the dish(es) vary, your local install can show you the dishes.
You can buy your way out of your contract, Tivo violation has nothing to do with current dvr receivers and would not give you a free out. DVR is not leaving Dish.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
BoydRice said:
Hello,
Does the HD DVR need to be connected to a landline or internet connection?
If not, is there a charge for not having this connected?
Dish will charge you a $5/month "second room" fee for any 2-output receiver unless it is plugged into a phone line (or for HD receivers, the Internet). So, no, they don't require the connection, but if you don't have it connected, you'll pay more. It is likely that HD DVRs with an Internet connection will have features that make the Internet connection valuable, but there's not much yet.

The ViP612 is an HD-DVR that only feeds 1 TV. There's no connection needed for that box.

I live in Tacoma Washington and would be interested only in HD programming, would I only need one dish mounted?

How large are the HD capable dishes?
It seems that most folks in the PNW are getting 2 dishes, with a larger (24", vs the standard 20") dish pointed at 129, which is where most of the HD is. That's because the 129 satellite is old, weak, and failing, and with all of the rain up there, you need all of the signal you can get.

Since Dish wants a 24 month commitment does anyone know if that commitment is binding if they have been found to violate the patent with Tivo? Would I be able to leave Dish if they could no longer offer DVR service for a period of time?
The commitment is to keep Dish programming. DVR service is irrelevant to the commitment, so that's not an "out". The ETF for Dish is, IIRC, $13.33/month remaining on your commitment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.