DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

currently have an HR21-700 and am upgrading to an HR34 in a few weeks. We only have 1 DTV receiver in our home (and don't have plans on adding any more), but want to make sure we're prepared when the installer comes.

On the work order is the Cinema Connection Kit. Is this required to have the HR34 run? We have a (hardwired) CAT6 gigabit ethernet network in our home, so we don't need any wireless bridges, etc to get internet access to the receiver (the HR21 is connected up to the network/internet via ethernet).

Also, since the HR34 can record 5 shows at a time, does that mean that there will be 5 coax running into the receiver (vs 2 for the HR21)? I currently have a 4 port keystone wallplate behind the TV that holds 2 keystones for DTV, 1 for existing home coax, 1 for CAT6. If I need 3 more jacks for DTV to support the HR34, I will want to break out the 5 DTV coax into a separate keystone wallplate.

And lastly, does a new dish need to be installed for the HR34? I believe we have a Slimline-5 currently

thanks!

· Registered
4,171 Posts
The CCK is automatically added, but the HR34 is the one receiver that can bridge the ethernet connection to the SWiM network. Whether or not he will hook it up that way I dont know. SWM stands for Single Wire Multiswitch, meaning you only need one coax to the HR34. The dish does not have to be changed but the LNB will be changed to a SWM unit.

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
funkadelic said:
Hi all,

currently have an HR21-700 and am upgrading to an HR34 in a few weeks. We only have 1 DTV receiver in our home (and don't have plans on adding any more), but want to make sure we're prepared when the installer comes.

On the work order is the Cinema Connection Kit. Is this required to have the HR34 run? We have a (hardwired) CAT6 gigabit ethernet network in our home, so we don't need any wireless bridges, etc to get internet access to the receiver (the HR21 is connected up to the network/internet via ethernet). ...
The CCK is not required for the HR34 to access the internet, but DIRECTV trains their techs to act like it does and may insist on installing it. If so simply accept it and remove it later after the tech. leaves if you wish.

... Also, since the HR34 can record 5 shows at a time, does that mean that there will be 5 coax running into the receiver (vs 2 for the HR21)? I currently have a 4 port keystone wallplate behind the TV that holds 2 keystones for DTV, 1 for existing home coax, 1 for CAT6. If I need 3 more jacks for DTV to support the HR34, I will want to break out the 5 DTV coax into a separate keystone wallplate.
The HR34 is SWiM only and requires only one coax run to it.

... And lastly, does a new dish need to be installed for the HR34? I believe we have a Slimline-5 currently

thanks!
You already have the correct dish, but the LNB appears to be a four output legacy type and will therefore need to be changed-out for a SWiM type LNB.

· Cool Member
19 Posts
My HR34 install was yesterday. Also had an HR24 and three H25's. 5 HDTV's total.

The tech installed a SWiM16 and two 8-port SWiM digital splitters.

From the dish four coax runs into the SWiM16. From the SWiM16 one coax into EACH SWiM8 digital splitter.

From the two SWiM8 digital splitters he split the load between the two - 3 coax connections out of each SWiM8 digital splitter.

The HR34 had TWO coax lines. One into the HR34 and one into a Broadband DECA. Also into the Broadband DECA
was an ethernet cable from my wireless router which has 4 wired ports in addition to the WiFi. I, like you, prefer
a wired connection.

The HR24 and the three H25's each had one coax connection.

Six total.

My system works very well. Came from 20+ years of Time Warner. It is pretty amazing. You'll be very happy. :D

The HR34 is a BEAST!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.