DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of those affected by the loss of the long distance network feeds. I have the standard DVR, but will have no way to record the OTA network signals which is what I use it for 90% of the time. It seems as my only option with DISH is to go to the 622 receiver. The literature for the 622 says that it will record OTA in HD, but never mentions if it will also record OTA in SD. So, will the 622 record an OTA SD signal? Will there be a programming guide for the OTA signals? Does it work just like the SD DVR, i.e. just click on the program you desire to record and follow the prompts? I'm trying to get all my questions answered before I commit to it and make a mistake. DISH customer service has been pretty good about answering my questions, but sometimes you need to make sure you ask the right questions.

BTW, I called my congressman today and after I voiced my concerns, I asked how the responses were coming in. He said that they have gotten a few calls and it doesn't look real promising that anything will happen in congress on the issue. Anyone have any better news on that front?

Thanks.

Len

·
Hall Of Fame
1,295 Posts
The 622 will record the digital OTA signal, SD or HD. It will NOT record the analog OTA signal, because it doesn't have an NTSC tuner, only ATSC for OTA.

·
AllStar
66 Posts
The 622 will tune any ATSC stations. You can record SD and HD broadcasts.

You cannot tune or record NTSC stations (non-digital).

·
Legend
164 Posts
The 622 is capable of receiving only digital OTA, so if you're able to connect it to an OTA antenna and pick up stations in Wilmington, Columbia, Myrtle Beach? or even Raleigh it will work just like your standard DVR with one exception. Since dish provides programming information via their local channels, you won't have that information. You'll have to use a guide from some other source (news paper, internet, etc.) and then set the 622 to record the OTA program you want.

P.S. Love Ocean Isle! My family has been vacationing there since I was a kid. Of course it's grow up a lot since then.

·
AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Glad to hear that I'll be able to record OTA network signals. So if you don't have a guide to use, can you only set up the recording based on a day and time set up or do the guides for the OTA stations show up as "Local Programming" in all the time slots?

I can pull in digital stations from both Wilmington and Myrtle Beach/Florence. The only one that is really weak is CBS.

So in your opinions, is the 622 unit worth going with? It's going to cost me $199 less a $100 rebate over the next ten months and of course my monthly cost will go up about $15. The money really isn't the issue. I just want to make the right choice. And it seems like my only choices are stay with DISH and upgrade to the 622 or go with DirectTV.

Len

PS I'm on the mainland part of Ocean Isle Beach, right at the intersection of 17 and 904, by the McDonald's.

·
AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reviewed a lot of the old posts on the forum and I'm still having trouble deciding. I was all set to call DISH and order the 622. Then I realized that since I don't have the locals, I'd only be able to record one OTA signal at a time and one of them I can usually only get in analog. Since I use my DVR most often for recording the network broadcasts and often do more than one at a time, I'm really going to be going backwards in terms of recording ability. Then I thought about going with DirectTV, but in reading their forum for awhile, I see lots of issues with them too.

Thanks.

Len

·
Legend
117 Posts
hello len ,

re - per jgurley

Since dish provides programming information via their local channels, you won't have that information. You'll have to use a guide from some other source (news paper, internet, etc.) and then set the 622 to record the OTA program you want.

i am not sure what differnces there are between my OTA and what jgurley gets ( i am near rocky mount,va and he is in salem, va) - but on my 622, i can go to the "guide" and get all the programming info for my OTA channels, and i can be viewing the actual channel and hit the right arrow button and scroll forward and see the upcoming programming.

go order that 622, you will like it!

gil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.