DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a TiVo HR10-250 DVR on Ebay. I tried the HR20-700 and after spending hours with Tech support I finally through in the towel and am going back to TiVo.

Here's my two questions:
1. Will the TiVo HR10 recieve HD on the local channels ( I have the 5 LNB dish).
2. And since I purchased it from Ebay will it still be a lease?

Thanks,
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
1) No, the HR10 is not MPEG-4 ready... thus it will not be able to access the HD Locals, and as they convert the MPEG-2 HD (via SAT), to MPEG-4 during 2007, you will not be able to tune those either

2) It should be treated as an OWNED unit.

To get HD Locals with the HR10-250, you must use OTA antenna... or convince DirecTV and your Local affiliates to approve a waiver to have acess to the NY feeds.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
1) No, the HR10 is not MPEG-4 ready... thus it will not be able to access the HD Locals, and as they convert the MPEG-2 HD (via SAT), to MPEG-4 during 2007, you will not be able to tune those either

2) It should be treated as an OWNED unit.

To get HD Locals with the HR10-250, you must use OTA antenna... or convince DirecTV and your Local affiliates to approve a waiver to have acess to the NY feeds.
Earl, Are you saying that I will not be able to get "ANY" HD after the MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 in 2007 on the TiVo HR10-250???
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,985 Posts
At some point D* will switch all of their HD broadcasts (if that's the right term) to MPEG4. At that point you will not be able to receive HD satellite signals on the HR10-250 (actually, I think it's more accurate to say that the HR10-250 will not be able to decode those signals).

The HR10-250 should continue to receive/record OTA HD signals if you can pick them up.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richly917 said:
Earl, Are you saying that I will not be able to get "ANY" HD after the MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 in 2007 on the TiVo HR10-250???
Earl, Another question: After the conversion from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 will my R10 and HR10 be limited to SD or will it fail to receive both SD and HD?
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JLucPicard said:
At some point D* will switch all of their HD broadcasts (if that's the right term) to MPEG4. At that point you will not be able to receive HD satellite signals on the HR10-250 (actually, I think it's more accurate to say that the HR10-250 will not be able to decode those signals).

The HR10-250 should continue to receive/record OTA HD signals if you can pick them up.
I guess I'm a little confused. Are you saying that the HR10 / R10 will not be able to receive SD as well as HD?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,624 Posts
Richly917 said:
I guess I'm a little confused. Are you saying that the HR10 / R10 will not be able to receive SD as well as HD?????
The R10 DVR cannot receive any HiDef channels, either MPEG2 or MPEG4. It only receives standard definition channels.

The HR10-250 can only receive MPEG2 HiDef, OTA HDTV, and all standard definition channels. If/when DirecTV moves all satellite-delivered HD channels to the new MPEG4 satellites, the HR10-250 will no longer receive any satellite HiDef channels. It will only receive OTA HDTV and all of DirecTV's standard definition channels.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,579 Posts
D* has plans to replace the HR10-250 as the availability of HR20-700s increases so you are not stuck with a useless investment but it will only prolong the switch to DVR+ technology as bad as it is compared to TiVo.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
litzdog911 said:
The R10 DVR cannot receive any HiDef channels, either MPEG2 or MPEG4. It only receives standard definition channels.

The HR10-250 can only receive MPEG2 HiDef, OTA HDTV, and all standard definition channels. If/when DirecTV moves all satellite-delivered HD channels to the new MPEG4 satellites, the HR10-250 will no longer receive any satellite HiDef channels. It will only receive OTA HDTV and all of DirecTV's standard definition channels.
I received a message from DTV saying that it will be quite a long time before they are able to convert to MPEG4. How long is "quite a long time"? She indicated that it would be much more than a year or two. Too bad we can't vote Rupert Murdock out of office and get Tivo back.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top