DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Can someone please tell me honestly with DVR is better? Dish's or Directs?

Not trying to start a war, but I have not read any positive posts about either. I am guessing that most people seek out these forums to complain and look for fixes. However, it makes it impossible for a guy like me to figure out which way to go.

I currently do not have service and I need to make a decision.

I was planning on SD, but I may be tempted to a HD unit.

Thanks!!

Dave

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
I think most people choose a provider for their programming and deal with whatever DVRs are offered. I have only been a DirecTv subscriber, and I grew up on TiVo and like them A LOT! Lucky for me D* teamed with TiVo for their earlier model DVRs, so I was happy.

Never had Dish, so can't speak to that. My main reason for going with D* oh so many years ago was NFL Sunday Ticket.

I'm sure some who have had both will chime in with their opinions. D* in the past year or so has gone away from TiVo to their own brand of DVR and although there are problems being worked out, they are basically OK units (R15, HR20).

Is there anything you are looking for programming-wise that one offers and the other doesn't?

Good luck with your decision and I hope it all works out well for you!

(By the way, you can tell from my sig that I'm a big fan of the HR10-250, though the recent "upgrade" is tempering that until they get the bugs worked out!)

· Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Programming wise, they are about the same to me as I have not had either for comparison. But I do like the heavier bias to "guy" programming of Direct. Sports and all that fun stuff.

I am still trying to make up my mind on the HD thing, but I really don't want DVR issues. And that's the biggest factor right now.

My girlfriend and I have Tivos and they are flawless. If they had a built in tuner I would be set. :) So, that's the way I proceeding.

Dave

· Hall Of Fame
1,167 Posts
I have Direct's R15 DVR. It works fine for me. A lot of people on this forum complain about it but I have never had any problems and the picture quality is fine to my liking.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
You might consider getting DirecTV with standard receivers (not DVR's), then picking up some R10 model DirecTivo DVR's and replacing the standard receivers. That would give you the tivo foundation in your DVR's.

I have two R15's, and while I have had a couple of problems, overall they have been very satisfactory units. No argument that when they have problems they are a pain. But when they are working well (which is most of the time), they are very nice units. My wife loves them. About the biggest risk is having to reformat one and lose your recorded programs.

As noted before, most threads deal with problems or issues, so these forums tend to run more negative. There are a lot of people who are satisfied with the R15.

Carl

· Icon
761 Posts
Don't join either just for the DVR. The choice will change, the software will change.
Even if there was some objective way to say the dish dvr is better right now than the R15 (and there isn't), the next upgrade might turn the tide.

Join for the price and programming.

That being said, I like Tivo, so I'm glad I was able to get a DTivo unit for DirecTV.

ApK

· Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
I am still trying to make up my mind on the HD thing, but I really don't want DVR issues. And that's the biggest factor right now.

Dave
The way I see it, you know one thing for certain, that is: Whatever you get, you want it to be like TiVo. TiVo is clearly the Cadillac of DVR Software. They have been doing it longer and it is their 'Core Business'.

Since TiVo is not an option with Dish, I would agree with Carl. Go with the standard receivers for DirecTV, then either use your existing SA Tivo recorder or purchase a Direct Tivo R10 (or HR-10 if you decide on hi-def) and have it activated on your account. (Make sure any unit you purchase has a 'Clean' access card, or you will be charged $25 for a new one from D*TV)

30 days ago, I would have told you, 'DO NOT GET THE R15'. After learning a few tricks from this board and discovering a few myself on how to 'work-around' some of the bugs and problem, my personal recommendation (based on the low/no cost ) would be to get the R-15. I think you will likely be satisfied with it, but if end up being dissatisfied, make the change to TiVo at that point.

REMEMBER: Have the installer run the second line from the dish to the location where your will have the DVR. They will charge you extra for it, but you will need it for the Dual tuner capability.

· Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
Okay. Can someone please tell me honestly with DVR is better? Dish's or Directs?
Dish's DVR has PIP, dual outputs so one receiver can be conncted to two TV's and a few other things the DirecTV DVR's do not have.

If you ask me from what I have heard/read they both have about the same amount of problems.

I would say to compare what channels they offer that you like. DirecTv claims 225+ channels but once you take off the 10+ religion, 15 or so shopping, foreign, etc... the count goes down greatly. Dish might be the same.

· Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. That helps alot!

And I appreciate the advice regarding the R-15 vs the Tivo.

Is there any difference in the dish hardware for HD or SD? Just planning ahead.

I know that trying to get to core issues is always tough. And I know that there will be more issues with Direct because there is simply more units in the field. I am starting to think that the failure rate on a percentage basis is similar between the 2 services.

Direct definitely offers the programming I am looking for at a better price than cable.

Has anyone had any success adding the Outdoor Channel alone to a base package? Direct keeps telling me I have to add the sports package to get it.

Thansk again guys! All the information you have provided has been worth it's weight in gold!!

Dave

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
The dish (as in satellite dish, not dish network) options are going to be essentially as follows (I'm assuming northwest WA at the moment):

Round 18" dish will get you all of the SD channels you want, including Seattle locals. You will not be able to get some HD, or most Spanish channels with the round dish.

Oval 3-LNB dish will get you all of your SD channels plus HD other than local channels plus Spanish.

Oval 5-LNB dish will get you everything including local HD channels.

If you are in SW WA, or in Eastern WA, the answer might be a little different.

If you start out with SD and upgrade to HD in the future, you will most likely be able to get an upgrade package that includes free replacement of the dish.

The round 18" dish requires two coax cables from the dish. The oval dishes require four coax cables from the dish. I would absolutely have the installer run all 4 regardless of how few or many receivers you start out with. Run them to a central point, then wire out to your tv locations from that central point.

Given that you can probably get an R15 for free, I would recommend starting out with an R15 and a standard receiver. Try them out before deciding to spend any additional money on other equipment. By getting the R15, you will get the dual coax lines necessary for the two tuners, so if you do decide to replace it with a DirecTivo in the future you won't have to pull more cable.

Carl

· Icon
511 Posts
I signed on with Dish about 2 years ago. At the time both E and D had programming and receivers that would work for me. E was $2 month cheaper at that time for the package I was interested in so I went with them.

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Rocko62580 said:
It sounds like most people like Tivo, but is Tivo able to get the new MPEG-4 signal? It sounds like they are only MPEG-2 capable. From what I hear there is a big difference?
Tivos are NOT MPEG-4 compatible only the H20 and HR20 receivers are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.