DBSTalk Forum banner

Quick-and-dirty CNN? Best option?

1578 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  James Long
I asked this question back in 2006 and got an answer that worked -- basically, I'm about to do it again and want to make sure that answer is still valid! :)

I need to temporarily have CNN available to me at a remote location. I currently have a 722 as my everyday receiver and believe that I have an old 301 or 311 in the garage that I'd like to use for a while. If I activate my 301/311 here at home -- can I then just take the 301/311 and an old dish (with LNB) with me on this trip, point it at whichever bird CNN is on (119, I believe) -- and be all set?

Can I run straight from the LNB to the 311?

I'm trying to take the minimum with me is all. Just want to get CNN and maybe a couple of other channels on one satellite for a few days. What are my option?

Note that when I asked this back in 2006, I was told that I should be able to run straight from the LNB directly into the 311 and have it work fine. I did this and it worked exactly as planned! For a few days when I needed it in the middle of nowhere, I had CNN and the other channels that I normally subscribe to that come from the 119 bird. So, 6 years later -- is that still the same? Should I be able to do the same thing again by just running a direct feed from 119 into a 301/311 receiver?

Thanks!

- John...
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Technically nothing would stop you, however unless you have an "RV" exemption you cannot legally take a receiver out of your primary residence.

What you could do to stay legal is do a temporary change of address with Dish. This is presuming nobody will be using the 722 at home at the same time. Another benefit is getting the locals at the vacation location (if they are on 119 since you would be using a single orbital dish).
Michael P said:
Unless you have an "RV" exemption you cannot legally take a receiver out of your primary residence.

What you could do to stay legal is do a temporary change of address with Dish. This is presuming nobody will be using the 722 at home at the same time. Another benefit is getting the locals at the vacation location (if they are on 119 since you would be using a single orbital dish).
Agreed -- but, to be clear, these are not "legal" issues. It is not "illegal" for me to violate the Dish ToS. That's a civil issue. Provided that I was not receiving service that I did not pay for -- and provided that I was only receiving it at one location at a time -- I have not broken any LAWS. But, that's just one of my pet peeves and is not really related to my question. :)

That being said, if it makes you feel better... Assuming that I have an RV exception to "legally" use my own receiver for my own subscription at a location other than I am at now, would what I suggest work?

Or, I can change the scenario to something else if you'd rather... Let's say that, just for grins, I'd like to see what I could get if I replaced my current setup AT MY HOME (including my dish, LNBs, and switches) with just a single dish and LNB and no switch. Could I then plug that directly into the 301 or 311 on my account and have it work?

Thanks.

- John...
It is against the forum rules to discuss violating your TOS. So we'll end this thread right here.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.