DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this is my first post, so Hello!

I have a quick question that I hope is easy to get a yes or no answer to.

I currently have 2 HR20 HD DVR receivers from DirecTV. They have both started acting up (not able to receive various HD channels like HBOHD, ESPNHD, etc.) Although I still do get SOME HD channels, not all come in. I called Customer service and after switching cables and resetting, it was determined that it was a tuner malfunction in both boxes, and they are going to send out new ones to my home, and I am to return the ones I have now.

The main problem with that, and hence my question, is this: I have a LOT of unwatched stuff on both of the boxes. I want to know if it is possible to purchase a DVD recorder (the model I have seen that seems like a good buy is the Toshiba DR410) and to record the movies/shows I currently have on my HR20's to a DVD for viewing later?

I have done some research and it seems like it may work, though only if I do it through Component connections, yes? Or will HDMI work? Any worries that the movies were recorded off of HBO, Starz, etc.

I guess I could live with losing HD quality, and 5.1 sound and all that as long as I don't lose the 40-50 movies I have stored and hope to watch at some point.

I'd love a quick response as to whether this is indeed possible, and I certainly apologize if this is an oft asked question answered amy times before!

Cheers,
Kev

· Registered
2,792 Posts
kevwheez said:
Hey all, this is my first post, so Hello!

I have a quick question that I hope is easy to get a yes or no answer to.

I currently have 2 HR20 HD DVR receivers from DirecTV. They have both started acting up (not able to receive various HD channels like HBOHD, ESPNHD, etc.) Although I still do get SOME HD channels, not all come in. I called Customer service and after switching cables and resetting, it was determined that it was a tuner malfunction in both boxes, and they are going to send out new ones to my home, and I am to return the ones I have now.

The main problem with that, and hence my question, is this: I have a LOT of unwatched stuff on both of the boxes. I want to know if it is possible to purchase a DVD recorder (the model I have seen that seems like a good buy is the Toshiba DR410) and to record the movies/shows I currently have on my HR20's to a DVD for viewing later?

I have done some research and it seems like it may work, though only if I do it through Component connections, yes? Or will HDMI work? Any worries that the movies were recorded off of HBO, Starz, etc.

I guess I could live with losing HD quality, and 5.1 sound and all that as long as I don't lose the 40-50 movies I have stored and hope to watch at some point.

I'd love a quick response as to whether this is indeed possible, and I certainly apologize if this is an oft asked question answered amy times before!

Cheers,
Kev
Is the recorder you mentioned capable of recording in HD? I didnt look it up but the simplest way to record from the HR20 to a recorder is by using the composite hookups.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so - though that is a good point. I will have to take a look and see if there is a reasonably priced unit that CAN indeed record the HD content.

But barring that, am I fairly assured that the content will be able to be burned onto a DVD AT ALL? I mean will the stuff off the preminum stations (which most of it is) be flagged and not viewable, making this whole exercise pointless - or will it be more a case of reduced quality, but still doable.

Thanks!

· Registered
2,792 Posts
kevwheez said:
I don't think so - though that is a good point. I will have to take a look and see if there is a reasonably priced unit that CAN indeed record the HD content.

But barring that, am I fairly assured that the content will be able to be burned onto a DVD AT ALL? I mean will the stuff off the preminum stations (which most of it is) be flagged and not viewable, making this whole exercise pointless - or will it be more a case of reduced quality, but still doable.

Thanks!
Its extremely doable and not pointless at all. The PQ will be downrezzed to 480i but with the recorder that you mentioned being able to upconvert to 1080p your movies should look fine.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Yes, you can definitely burn to DVD. There's no benefit to using anything more than an S-Video connection, and there will be no copy protection.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the quick facts, guys!

They have some VERY nicely priced ones on eBay, and I need to return these DVR's back to DirecTV pretty quick - so knowing it can be done helps me out big time!

I was looking at one of the pictures of the unit, and am I correct that I would be utilizing the Inputs of the Recorder to the Output of the DVR - yes?

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Correct. S-Video and Stereo Audio out of the DVR to the corresponding inputs on the DVD recorder, then out to the TV.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
Yes, you can definitely burn to DVD. There's no benefit to using anything more than an S-Video connection, and there will be no copy protection.
"maybe and maybe not".
Sometime back I wanted to make a DVD off Showtime, so I fed it through composite to my MCE 2005 to have it record and then I'd burn it to DVD. Microsoft wouldn't let me and would display copyright problems.
I was able to use a non Microsoft app, to make a recording.
If you read the labels on the DVR, there are HDCP for digital, and macrovision which does seem to be used on the analog.
"How" a recorder handles this will vary.
Just an FYI, as YMMV

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
VOS is correct that MCE will sometimes find copy protection, but at least in my experience I haven't seen a standalone DVD recorder do this.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
Correct. S-Video and Stereo Audio out of the DVR to the corresponding inputs on the DVD recorder, then out to the TV.
That's how I've been doing it for some time here....works well, and I've been pleasantly surprised just how good the SD DVD's have looked using HD source content.

· Legend
201 Posts
I've been running a Tivo S2 to record shows from my H20 off S-Video, then let my TV re-scale the image back to a 16x9 format when I play them back. I won't say that I was "pleasantly surprised" with the quality, but it's certainly "not bad" considering... (And certainly worth the savings of DirecTV's monthly DVR charges and the extra features that come from the Tivo service)

- Chip

hdtvfan0001 said:
That's how I've been doing it for some time here....works well, and I've been pleasantly surprised just how good the SD DVD's have looked using HD source content.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
Not to deviate from your questions, which have been answered by the experts, my concern is the problem of BOTH HR's having the exact same problem. I would highly suspect something common to both receivers, poor alignment, multi-switch, cables or the LNB. I would hate to see you go through all this trouble only to continue having the same problem after replacing the units.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
davring said:
Not to deviate from your questions, which have been answered by the experts, my concern is the problem of BOTH HR's having the exact same problem. I would highly suspect something common to both receivers, poor alignment, multi-switch, cables or the LNB. I would hate to see you go through all this trouble only to continue having the same problem after replacing the units.
A very good point, Davring -

I just don't know what it could be at this point. As recently as 2 weeks ago, I was ble to watch those stations just fine - and to tell you the truth, I remember a night not too long a go that I couldn't watch HBOHD and ESPNHD and then a day or two later, I could - why? I have no idea.

I did look over the input signal strengths on both Sat 1 and 2, and they seemed perfectly fine. I'm perplexed as to why some of the stations (in HD) are absolutely fine, but others can't be received. I don't have a service contract with DirecTV, so if I wanted them to come out and monkey with it, I'd be on the hook for it, so I really don't want to do that.

I am far from an expert in anyof this, but I ran through the logical steps to see if it would be anything else, but can't think of what it might be - any suggestions from anyone else?

ALSO: I have been looking at blank DVD+RW discs that I would be burning the content from these DVRs onto, and I see that pretty much all say the have a 120 minute video limit on them. What does one do when you have a movie that is over 2 hours long - split it between 2 discs? Seems wierd, though I have never done it before so maybe I'm missing something very obvious?

Cheers,
Kevin

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
My Lite-On DVD recorder has a 4-hour setting which I have used for movies over two hours in length. The quality is somewhat reduced, however. I have also captured some to my Mac (using a Miglia EvolutionTV and EyeTV software). The Miglia has hardware compression and even under the best quality setting I can record about 3 hours of video on a DVD with this method.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Those little "BBCs" hanging off the back "might" be a cause.
When you have "the problem", are you looking at all of the SATs?
Can you check the cables for being "tight"? Almost every time an installer comes out, I will find a cable [or more] that isn't as tight [well snug really] as it should be.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
veryoldschool said:
Those little "BBCs" hanging off the back "might" be a cause.
When you have "the problem", are you looking at all of the SATs?
Can you check the cables for being "tight"? Almost every time an installer comes out, I will find a cable [or more] that isn't as tight [well snug really] as it should be.
VOS - BBCs?? I'm either clueless or haven't had enough coffee today - lol! What are these?

And when I'm looking at the signal strength numbers, they are all fluctuate - some in the 80s some in the 90s occasionally down in the 70/60 range - but all seemingly fine enough that I get SOME HD stations perfectly. There is one always at "0" - but have been told that is normal - correct?

All the cable are tight, as I said, I actually unhooked them, switched them from Sat in 1/2 and retightened - but still got the same problem.

· Hall Of Fame
1,548 Posts
The BBCs are plastic boxes, either gray or black in color, they hook to the sat inputs, then your cables screw into them. They must be attached for MPEG4 viewing.....unless you have an swm....

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SDizzle said:
The BBCs are plastic boxes, either gray or black in color, they hook to the sat inputs, then your cables screw into them. They must be attached for MPEG4 viewing.....unless you have an swm....
Oh OK - yep I have those back there, one for each Sat line coming in. But I'm wondering somethiing here (and this is info I had not shared yet, so maybe it makes the point moot). When I first would try to view HBOHD say, the screen message would say something like "Unable to recieve signal on Sat 2 - message 771" or near enough to that. Now when I swapped the Sat In cables from on to the other it STILL said "Unable to receive signal from Sat 2. . ." Would this mean that the "BBCs" are fine and that it is the HR20 itself?

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
kevwheez said:
VOS - BBCs?? I'm either clueless or haven't had enough coffee today - lol! What are these?

And when I'm looking at the signal strength numbers, they are all fluctuate - some in the 80s some in the 90s occasionally down in the 70/60 range - but all seemingly fine enough that I get SOME HD stations perfectly. There is one always at "0" - but have been told that is normal - correct?

All the cable are tight, as I said, I actually unhooked them, switched them from Sat in 1/2 and retightened - but still got the same problem.
I'm a bit concerned with the 80-90 dropping to 60-70.
While the cables may be tight/snug at the receiver, what about the other end(s)? [and any connection in between]
Can you get to your dish?
If you're careful, you can remove the two screws that connect the LNB [on the end of the arm] and pull it out to check the cable there. This was where I first found my problem. There was one so loose that it was giving problems known as the "even/odd" transponder issue.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
kevwheez said:
Oh OK - yep I have those back there, one for each Sat line coming in. But I'm wondering somethiing here (and this is info I had not shared yet, so maybe it makes the point moot). When I first would try to view HBOHD say, the screen message would say something like "Unable to recieve signal on Sat 2 - message 771" or near enough to that. Now when I swapped the Sat In cables from on to the other it STILL said "Unable to receive signal from Sat 2. . ." Would this mean that the "BBCs" are fine and that it is the HR20 itself?
cables, or BBC sure are starting to sound like your problem.
Swapping cable and/or BBCs and having the 771 error change from Tuner #1 to tuner #2, points to NOT being the receiver.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.