DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so directv installed my dish last week, and made sure that my signals were ok with his handheld meter. At that time, as I had just purchased the house), I didn't have any TVs or receivers in the house to hook up to the dish. I was going to route the cables through the house on my own and hook everything up, which I have done/am still doing.

Anyway, I have since moved TVs and receivers to the house, and hooked up 2 lines from the "slimline 5" dish to my HR20 receiver. Things seemed to go well, but I had no signal from the 99 satellite. I then thought that maybe I need to go through the guided setup again, but I was going from the dish at my old house that had the "sidecar" or whatever you call it, to the new dish, and maybe my receiver needed to be told that. Is this new dish the #18 dish in the guided setup? I think it was called "Slimline 5 SWM" or something very similar. I did highlight that, and it told me to NOT install the b-band converters, even though I had them at my previous house with the other dish, and had them on at this house and was getting everything but the 99.

Long story short, now I can't get any reception on any satellite on my HR20! Anyway, what's the guided setup steps for that dish and that receiver, and do I need the B-band converters or not?

Thanks for all your help! Bonus points for anyone that can help me get everything back up and running on all birds before Saturday's college football games!!

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Dont select the Slimline with SWM, you have just the Slimline 5 it sounds like and you will still need the BBCs.

Your dish aim might be off which is why you are not getting 99, but we would need to see some signal strengths to make a better diagnosis.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just went to the last dish in the list thinking that since I got the most recent dish, it would be the last one in the list. Is the new slimline dish just called "slimline 5"? I thought I needed the BBCs.....

by the way, what does swm stand for?

Grentz said:
Dont select the Slimline with SWM, you have just the Slimline 5 it sounds like and you will still need the BBCs.

Your dish aim might be off which is why you are not getting 99, but we would need to see some signal strengths to make a better diagnosis.

· AllStar
89 Posts
matttyl315 said:
I just went to the last dish in the list thinking that since I got the most recent dish, it would be the last one in the list. Is the new slimline dish just called "slimline 5"? I thought I needed the BBCs.....

by the way, what does swm stand for?
You wouldn't get a SWMLine unless you met certain criteria; you almost certainly have a regular slimline.

SWM=Single Wire Multiswitch, btw.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my dish has 4 identical outputs, and each has a line going directly to the house where I will one day have a multiswitch I'm sure, but I currently do not. So I need to enter just "slimline 5" as my dish in the setup?

Thanks for all the help, this forum has been most helpful!!

Jables said:
You wouldn't get a SWMLine unless you met certain criteria; you almost certainly have a regular slimline.

SWM=Single Wire Multiswitch, btw.

· AllStar
89 Posts
matttyl315 said:
my dish has 4 identical outputs, and each has a line going directly to the house where I will one day have a multiswitch I'm sure, but I currently do not. So I need to enter just "slimline 5" as my dish in the setup?
You've got it.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
matttyl315 said:

Thanks for all the help, this forum has been most helpful!!
Correct, that is the normal Slimline 5 you have and you do need the BBCs attached.

The SWM allows you to use one line and split it like a normal antenna/cable line. It also has a separate power inserter and is just starting to show up in installs, but there is specific criteria so not everyone gets one (mostly just bigger installs with more receivers/tuners).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.