DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a HR21-700 receiver in my bedroom. It is a bit too noisy (you can hear a constant high pitched whirring noise and the occasional hard drive clicking noises). Is there anything that I can do to quiet the unit? Can I put something over the unit to deaden the sound without causing the unit to overheat?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
I found with mine the the noise was made by the sheet metal case vibrating. You may want to rest your hand on top of your DVR to see if this is the situation with you, too. If it is, your hand alone should be enough to greatly attenuate the noise. Since I didn't want to stand there for the rest of my life, I used a 2" x 3" piece of Dynamat I had lying around instead to quiet the machine down.

Here is my thread on this.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
I found with my Tivo (which was VERY noisy compared to my HR21-700) that the resonating vibrations in the cabinet (wood) were the blame for most of the noise.

Using some cork stick on feet (even just the felt pads would work) I cut the noise down a LOT.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
jal said:
Send it back. I did the same, I got an Hr20-100 its whisper quiet. It doesnt have slots on the top, so the noise is muffled much better.
There is no guarantee what you will get in return, and the exact unit you get can vary as well.

My uncle has a HR20-100 and it is noisier than my HR21-700.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Grentz said:
Using some cork stick on feet (even just the felt pads would work) I cut the noise down a LOT.
Especially if you put them in your ears!

Seriously, I do understand the problem. The HR20 for our bedroom TV is in a closet so there's no trouble there (that, and we usually run a ceiling fan and an oscillating fan that would drown out any minor sounds). For the last week, I've been sleeping in the guest room and that HR20 is on the dresser. I did notice that it can get a bit noisy at night, so I put an oscillating fan in there and that took care of it. Oh, and no worries - I'm not in "the dog house"! My wife had some surgery done and she's having a hard time sleeping, so I volunteered to let her have the bed to herself and not wake her when I get up early to go into work in the mornings. :)

· Registered
5,915 Posts
rudeney said:
Especially if you put them in your ears!

Seriously, I do understand the problem. The HR20 for our bedroom TV is in a closet so there's no trouble there (that, and we usually run a ceiling fan and an oscillating fan that would drown out any minor sounds). For the last week, I've been sleeping in the guest room and that HR20 is on the dresser. I did notice that it can get a bit noisy at night, so I put an oscillating fan in there and that took care of it. Oh, and no worries - I'm not in "the dog house"! My wife had some surgery done and she's having a hard time sleeping, so I volunteered to let her have the bed to herself and not wake her when I get up early to go into work in the mornings. :)
Just make sure she doesn't get too used to it ;)
:lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.