DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Qwest Provides DIRECTV with Advanced Networking Services in Multi-Year Agreement

Service is Result of Qwest's Acquisition of OnFiber

DENVER, BUSINESS WIRE -- Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE:Q) today announced that for the next three years it will be a major provider of networking services to El Segundo, Calif.-based DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital satellite television service provider. The Qwest advanced networking services will help DIRECTV deliver local HD television content to customers. This agreement is a direct result of the recent acquisition of OnFiber.

Qwest will provide its state-of-the-art metro optical wavelength services, or QWave, to upgrade DIRECTV's network infrastructure. With this upgrade, DIRECTV will be able to distribute and transport HDTV content to millions of its customers. Qwest will be a major network services provider for DIRECTV, offering the company access to Qwest's reliable and secure network to transfer television and movie content.

Read the rest of the story at: Broadcast Newsroom

·
Banned
614 Posts
monetnj said:
Does this mean fiber to the premises in QWEST areas? What about the rest of the country?
It doesn't appear to be national but for certain states in Qwest territory. Kinda competing with FiOS offered by Verizon.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least it is a start into the "Sats are so bandwith limited, FIOS will pass them up in a few years" arguments

·
Godfather
253 Posts
I'm not 100%, absolutely certain, but this is not for consumer access. This is for D* to gather the local TV signals to beam up to the satellites so we can watch them. Not a Qwest/D* "cable" option.

·
Banned
614 Posts
dpfaunts said:
I'm not 100%, absolutely certain, but this is not for consumer access. This is for D* to gather the local TV signals to beam up to the satellites so we can watch them. Not a Qwest/D* "cable" option.
It mentioned bundling service up to 4, so I would say it's adding services. At the moment only Qwest territory will get it. Unless DirecTV signs deals with other carriers in other territories.

·
Icon
543 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
It mentioned bundling service up to 4, so I would say it's adding services. At the moment only Qwest territory will get it. Unless DirecTV signs deals with other carriers in other territories.
That's the current agreement that D* and QWest have and clearly says it is not going to change. Please read carefully.

·
Godfather
253 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Yeah, you can already get D* through Qwest, but it's with a dish. It's the unified pricing/billing package. Same technology. I keep my service directly with D*, but has Qwest as my phone and DSL provider. I found it is best to pay your bill to the party that gives the service..... less people to yell at :) I still believe this is D* corporate upload only. my 2 cents

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But ultimately.... with the right "receiver"... what is to stop DirecTV from sending their signal via Fiber to a home, instead of via SAT?

All you would need is a box, that would accept the fiber connection, and then have that box "Act" as a SAT dish would...

But then again... that is a topic for another thread, another time... as that doesn't appear to be what this particular contract is about.

·
Banned
614 Posts
dpfaunts said:
Yeah, you can already get D* through Qwest, but it's with a dish. It's the unified pricing/billing package. Same technology. I keep my service directly with D*, but has Qwest as my phone and DSL provider. I found it is best to pay your bill to the party that gives the service..... less people to yell at :) I still believe this is D* corporate upload only. my 2 cents
Yes I agree.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
dpfaunts said:
Yeah... that's the way I read it. QWave is just a DWDM solution, which means it's point-to-point. This is probably backhaul or remote feed-in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.