DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just got my DirectTV installed today, but I have no landline, rather I am using Packet8 VOIP via Comcast *Shudders*... My packet8 will not allow the Receiver to place "The Final Step" call to enable my Tivo. I notice that there are 2 USB ports on the back of the reciever, and I also have a Linksys USB 802.11b adapter from my first generation home network. I plug in the adapter, but it doesn't seem to do anything except power up.
Can I use this to get around "The final step" phone calls.. was thinking I might be able to use my wireless network to connect this receiver to the internet to get that final step completed?? and get the tivo updates that you all talk about?

Please let me know if this would work?

Also, are these usb ports useable? Can you connect the receiver to a Media Centre Computer to copy the recorded shows to my computer, so that it does nto waste the TIVO's space?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Brian

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
BuckyJS,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

The USB ports on all DirecTv brand receivers/DVRs are not currently enabled to the best of my knowledge. I have heard no speculation of any future date that these will be enabled. Some people take their units to a friends house who has a land line and activate them there.

I think there will be someone along soon who can give you some solid help, but I think I'm right on the USB thing.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
You will need to complete that initial Guided Setup with an analog phone connection. You can take the R10 to a neighbor/friend/work location with an analog phone line and complete the Guided Setup there. You don't need a satellite connection. Once you've completed the initial Guided Setup, you don't really need a phone connection anymore. Your Guide Data is delivered via satellite. You just won't be able to order PPV movies with your remote (order from DirecTV's web site instead).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the information. I didn't realize that my family members could help, I thought I would need to have a friend or family with a dish as well. But since this is not the case, sounds simple enough.

Thanks agian for the replies.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
One other thing I've heard... You'll start getting "call in or die" messages from DirecTV (OK, so the die thing is my editorial comment).

I've heard thru the grapevine (just joined from tivo forums) that if you let these messages stack up, it can degrade performance. Others have suggested you delete them. I have no first hand evidence of this since I've been deleting mine (I do not have dedicated phone connection).

Also, you will see talk about the 6.3 upgrade. As I understand it, sw upgrades are delivered to your box via satellite, but installed after authentication via a phone call. So, if you want the 6.3 upgrade (may or may not already be installed on your machine), at some point you'll have to dial in. This will be true for all future updates as well.

I suggest you note what version of the SW you're on now. If you're on 3.1, that's the "old" version (the one I'm on), it was recently upgraded to 6.3, then 6.3a. If you're on 6.3, that version had a major bug and has been replaced by 6.3a. If you're on 6.3a, it is buggy and will probably have to be updated between now and who knows.

IOW, just initial setup is not the only time you'll need to be connected. You'll want to keep up with the software update threads. They don't happen often, but you've arrived right in the middle of one.

cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.