DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AllStar
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a relatively new R15-100 that I had installed with a new Dish (old one was a single lnb Sony dish installed 10 years ago!). I had an issue where I had tried to order PPV and the website would not let me - something about my access card. When I called D*, the CSR told me that the issue was that it was not hooked up to a phone line - therefore, the website will not allow the order. It was/and is hooked up via a RCA wireless unit. While I was on the phone with the CSR, I went to the info/test part of setup and ran the test. Everything was ok, except the LNB Output Test - which failed. (the phone failed too, but I was on it and the CSR could hear that it was trying to connect - I have also since verified that it works via the test). She did not seem to know what this meant, but I am concerned that something is not right. Both Tuners seem to work and for the most part the unit has been solid. I did have one experience last night with MNF, where the screen went black while watching. I had to turn it off and on, and then it seemed to work for a little while - did it again, and I did a reset using the remote. This also worked, and it seems to be ok. However, I am still concerned about the LNB Output test failing. Is there something I can check? The entire setup from Dish, cabling, and receiver are all brand new - so what might the issue be? Should I call this in to D* to have them look at it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,558 Posts
What type of dish do you have now? Check the signal readings on the various transponders for each satellite .... what do you get? Also check the Test Channels (490, 491, 492, 493, 494) .... what do you see?

If those all look good, then I wouldn't worry about the LNB test results.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
139 Posts
GiantFan said:
I have a relatively new R15-100 that I had installed with a new Dish (old one was a single lnb Sony dish installed 10 years ago!). I had an issue where I had tried to order PPV and the website would not let me - something about my access card. When I called D*, the CSR told me that the issue was that it was not hooked up to a phone line - therefore, the website will not allow the order. It was/and is hooked up via a RCA wireless unit. While I was on the phone with the CSR, I went to the info/test part of setup and ran the test. Everything was ok, except the LNB Output Test - which failed. (the phone failed too, but I was on it and the CSR could hear that it was trying to connect - I have also since verified that it works via the test). She did not seem to know what this meant, but I am concerned that something is not right. Both Tuners seem to work and for the most part the unit has been solid. I did have one experience last night with MNF, where the screen went black while watching. I had to turn it off and on, and then it seemed to work for a little while - did it again, and I did a reset using the remote. This also worked, and it seems to be ok. However, I am still concerned about the LNB Output test failing. Is there something I can check? The entire setup from Dish, cabling, and receiver are all brand new - so what might the issue be? Should I call this in to D* to have them look at it?
The failed 'LNB output' test is one of those phenomenon that no one is able to explain. First off- there's nothing wrong with your box... probably nothing wrong. When I was a tech, I stopped performing system tests in front of customers because the receivers we were installing at the time: RCA DRD435RH's, would almost always return 'fail' for the LNB output test. By the way- old habits seen to die hard for RCA/Thomson- seeing that your box is made by them as well.

The purpose of the test itself? Just a guess on my part: the box is trying to determine if the LNB is stacked, if it is a "non-standard" LNB (reduced voltage system, high-gain) LNB or if it was hooked up to an older Phase II/Phase I TripleSat that needed a "louder" 22kHz to select a different slot.

Anyway, that's my guess. Deal or no deal?

BTW, the most likely culprit is that PPV has been "turned off" on your account somehow. If your boxes have been calling back to D* and the communication has been garbled (e.g. DSL w/o a filter or the wireless jack screwing up) one month of this would cause PPV to be turned off on your account. Check any PPV channel to see if "ext. 73x" is there and you'll know for sure.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,231 Posts
my 500, and now my 300 fail, I don't think it's supposed to feed info to the Satellite anyway, our dishes aren't capable of that. Maybe in the future a new dish to send a signal to activate true or truer on demand content...... 2 way communication is not possible with our dishes.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dish is a new dual LNB (Not the triple), it has only the one arm with two cable feeds coming into the house. I did test the readings on the transponders - all 80's and 90's for most, and a couple high 70's for 1 or 2 transponders on each tuner. When I went to 491 and 492 for test channels, it just displayed a message stating that it was either transponder 1 or 2 and a voltage rate (13 and 18) I think. Other than that, all seems to be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,558 Posts
GiantFan said:
My dish is a new dual LNB (Not the triple), it has only the one arm with two cable feeds coming into the house. I did test the readings on the transponders - all 80's and 90's for most, and a couple high 70's for 1 or 2 transponders on each tuner. When I went to 491 and 492 for test channels, it just displayed a message stating that it was either transponder 1 or 2 and a voltage rate (13 and 18) I think. Other than that, all seems to be fine.
Looks like everything is working fine. The "Satellite Test" on the R15 and HR20 DVRs are often misleading.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top