DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm a new member. I've had the Tivo SR40 something for a couple of years, with no problems, but since it only had 35 hours, I figured a 100 Hr R15 was a nice upgrade... Little did I know! I'm seriously thinking about sending the R15 back, but right now I got two of them at home - the original R15-100 that I got, and a boxed R15-300 that was sent as a replacement when I called to complain that the unit would not record half the shows I set it to record.

Since then, I reformated the 100, and it has been working mostly ok, except for the stuck timing meter, and overall slowdown once in a while. My question is this - should I try to set up the 300, or is there really no difference between the two?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,887 Posts
Supposedly they are functionally identical units, but made by different manufacturers and running different software versions as a result.

I only have the R15-500, so do not have direct experience with either the -100 or -300, but from what I have read on these and other forums, I have seen more posts regarding problems with the -300 than with the -100. That might only be a reflection of how many are out there, and may not have anything to do with substantive differences between them.

Carl

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
R15-300 is physicall smaller then then the R15-100 as well

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any difference to the response of the Play, FF, REW, etc., keys? That is probably the single worst problem for me right now. Tivo was instantaneous, the R15 is really lacking.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
When they all work as they should, I can tell no difference between my R15 100, 300, and 500. Sometimes one gets a little "buggY' but generally they all work well.

There are lots more 300s and 500s out there than the later 100 model. I like the 300 due to its small size.

·
Banned
4,231 Posts
polbit said:
First of all, I'm a new member. I've had the Tivo SR40 something for a couple of years, with no problems, but since it only had 35 hours, I figured a 100 Hr R15 was a nice upgrade... Little did I know! I'm seriously thinking about sending the R15 back, but right now I got two of them at home - the original R15-100 that I got, and a boxed R15-300 that was sent as a replacement when I called to complain that the unit would not record half the shows I set it to record.

Since then, I reformated the 100, and it has been working mostly ok, except for the stuck timing meter, and overall slowdown once in a while. My question is this - should I try to set up the 300, or is there really no difference between the two?

Thanks!
you could have added another hard drive or a larger one to the TiVo unit if it was a capacity issue.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dodge boy said:
you could have added another hard drive or a larger one to the TiVo unit if it was a capacity issue.
I know, I just wanted to try something newer, and what I thought would be faster... I guess I'll wait until the next supposedly major upgrade, and if that doesn't change anything, I'll go back to my Tivo, or find an R10 on eBay...

Thanks for the responses!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,776 Posts
I had problem after problem with my 300 (black screen, video lockups, channel banner would change but actual channel would not etc), reformats did not help. I was sent a 100 as a replacement.

Even though I have the exact same series links on the 100 as I did the 300, the exact same cabeling and in the exact same location, the only issue I have experienced with the 100 is the stuck timebar.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,070 Posts
Does anyone know who "100" is? I know the 500 is Humax, and I forgot what the 300 is.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
100 is RCA. 300 is Philips, I believe.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
I just had my last DirecTivo die and was sent a 300. I already had one fo the very first 500 releases. Right now after using both the 300 appears more responsive and stable than the 500. However this appears to be completely random when it comes to which model is better. Right now I say the R10 but that's wishful thinking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.