DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago my system started to reset to default settings. I managed to stop it before it reformatted the hard drive and losing all my data. However, now when I start the system, it tries to continue the task. I have since removed the drive in hopes of saving the data. I have replaced the drive with a pc drive but it did not work once the reformatting completed, it just loops back to the formatting step. I saw an earlier thread from Carl6 that talked about "ghosting" and thought this might be a solution to my problem. I would like more information about how to save my stuff. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
If the DVR is not working with a new drive in it, then it may have some other problem (drive controller for example).

As to cloning the drive, I was able to do so using a unix dd copy. It took a long time, but it worked. There have been posts with other procedures for copying the drive, but all essentially involve a sector by sector copy (as opposed to a file copy), and may not succeed if the source drive is bad.

Check in the HD receiver forum for threads about replacing/upgrading the hard drive. The basic procedure is the same, and there is a lot of information there.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
Dont forget there's a good chance that if the drive is already bad, you wont be able to copy it anyway. Too often people want to back up a drive that has already failed....thats why DVR's are not meant to be permanent storage or archiving of anything important.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Mike,
I don't object to contacting you directly, however I'm not sure that I can offer you any more information than you have already found, or can easily find, in these forums. I did this once, about 3 years ago, with a good R15 drive just to test. I've never tried to recover from a problem dvr or failing drive.

If the DVR is the problem (possible based on your symptoms), there is no recovery. The drive (or a copy of it) will not give you access to the recordings in a different DVR.

These two threads have way more information than I would be able to provide. Take a look at them if you have not already done so.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148760
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=167440

If that doesn't help and you have some specific question you don't want to post openly, then go ahead and send me a PM through dbstalk.

Carl

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I'm afraid it's much worse than that! I am a software guy who knows enough about hardware IT to get me this deep in trouble. Thanks guys, I will keep reading and following your suggestions until something clicks!

·
1*
10,289 Posts
And mask your e-mail address so that it is not milled by spambots...

- Merg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.