DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back into DirecTV again. I got 2 R15-500 DVR units.

The menus and etc all seem to work as expected and seem to be fairly quick and responsive.

The only complaint I have is the poor picture quality for fast moving objects. It appears there is not enough bandwidth allocated to the video. It occasionally looks like a youtube video on the internet. The faces or backgrounds have a ghost effect or a layered effect like changing a picture from true color to 256 color and the details go away and you can see lines where the color seperation occurs.

The edges of fast moving scenes cause macroblocks. You can really see them on the Sony 46" HFTV and can notice them a little on a 32" CRT tv.

Is there a way to fix the software so the picture quality is acceptable??

Lannie

·
Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
lschafroth said:
I just got back into DirecTV again. I got 2 R15-500 DVR units.

The menus and etc all seem to work as expected and seem to be fairly quick and responsive.

The only complaint I have is the poor picture quality for fast moving objects. It appears there is not enough bandwidth allocated to the video. It occasionally looks like a youtube video on the internet. The faces or backgrounds have a ghost effect or a layered effect like changing a picture from true color to 256 color and the details go away and you can see lines where the color seperation occurs.

The edges of fast moving scenes cause macroblocks. You can really see them on the Sony 46" HFTV and can notice them a little on a 32" CRT tv.

Is there a way to fix the software so the picture quality is acceptable??

Lannie
No, that is just a by-product of the massive signal compression they have to use. It is especially bad if you receive the local channels on the 119 sat. But, I have seen an increase among the 101 sat channels as well.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BattleScott said:
No, that is just a by-product of the massive signal compression they have to use. It is especially bad if you receive the local channels on the 119 sat. But, I have seen an increase among the 101 sat channels as well.
Is there anything that can be done or do I need to dump DirecTV?

Lannie

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bobman said:
Its always been that way. The larger the TV the more noticeable.
I had DirecTV 4 years ago and never saw any of the artifacts you see now. It is horrible How can people watch this and gladly send their $$ in?

hmmm...

I think I will try a different receiver and see how it looks.

LS

·
Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
lschafroth said:
I had DirecTV 4 years ago and never saw any of the artifacts you see now. It is horrible How can people watch this and gladly send their $$ in?

hmmm...

I think I will try a different receiver and see how it looks.

LS
I would suspect it won't be any better. I have a 4 year old receiver and it shows the same as my new R15. The problem may (emphasis on may) get better when the new dedicated HD sats are deployed in 2007. They may be able to give back some bandwidth to the 101 and 119 sats and restore some of the SD image quality.
I'm generally not one to subscribe to 'conspiracy theories' but I am starting to wonder if the gradual reduction in SD image quality isn't 'by design' to try and boost the 'HD' business.
As for the 'gladly sending $$', the gladly no longer applies...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.