DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running a load test on the R15 500 once a month.
It has never passed it without crashing or showing some sort of bug.
This morning DTV changed something in the EPG data stream and in their active channels. Usually the load test failed because of using the Active Channel features such as weather for multiple cities.

I ran my load test this morning after I reset my R15 500.
It passed my initial test which has never occurred before without some sort of issue.

Active channel : weather 5 cities
zip 94618
California Anhiem
Florida Orlando
NY New York
Washington DC
Illinois Chicago

ToDO List 75
SL 18
MyVod 65 shows

I recorded two show simultaneously and used the List button.
The list screen showed no bug where the content of MyVOD was not visible.
Had one channel recording and the other channel tuned to 102.
Active channel 102 worked without any issue.
Scheduled a show to record while tuned to 102 no issue found show recorded as scheduled.
Did a key word search while recording two shows simultaneously this showed no issues or bugs.

These were the main issues I had with the R15.
I am on version 10E8.

If anyone else is noticing an absent of typical bugs they routinely experience please chime in.
If the bugs come back I will update this thread.
But to date I have never seen my R15 this stable.

Was it the EPG data stream and active channel data being push to the R15 that was causing these issues to began with? I wonder.

Keith

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
klwillis said:
-I recorded two show simultaneously and used the List button.
-The list screen showed no bug where the content of MyVOD was not visible.
-Had one channel recording and the other channel tuned to 102.
-Active channel 102 worked without any issue.
-Scheduled a show to record while tuned to 102 no issue found show recorded as scheduled.
-Did a key word search while recording two shows simultaneously this showed no issues or bugs.

These were the main issues I had with the R15.
I am on version 10E8.
Did you have all these fail with the older updates? If so, what issue where you getting when recording two show simultaneously and used the List button?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
klwillis said:
I have been running a load test on the R15 500 once a month.
I would consider a load test more like having the max number (50) of SL's, max number (100) in the TDL, filling up the 100 hours in VOD, max number of saved searches, etc....

No one seems to be doing this.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Bobman said:
I would consider a load test more like having the max number (50) of SL's, max number (100) in the TDL, filling up the 100 hours in VOD, max number of saved searches, etc....

No one seems to be doing this.
I almost got there but had to reformat to get the thing stable again.

BTW, I totally agree and that was my first thought when reading this thread.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
I guess this could better be described as a "scenario test" - run a bunch of steps that have caused problems in the past and see if they still do. I would agree with Bobman that a real load test would involve pouring it onto the system - test out the limits of what the box is designed to handle. However, I think this is a good first step type of test, and an encouraging one at that. As an aside, last night I set up a new title search - the first since getting 10E8 (by setting up, I mean that I actually put in a new title - I've run "recent searches" under 10E8 already), and I have to say, it's responding MUCH quicker from what I can tell. I went searching for "House" and when I hit each letter on the keypad, it came back almost instantly. Granted that's a single run at it, but in the past it would "think" after each letter. Now I was almost able to just move right on through the letters.

And to answer Keith's final question - I've suspected all along (and have posted elsewhere) that most of the R15's problems and limits are due to the EPG data. I believe that heavy loads on the system cause it to just freeze - hence the imposed limits on the todo list, the SLs, et. al. By preventing a user from having too many items in any one of those lists, you reduce the chance of the system getting too much of a load to handle (this smacks of bad memory management to me). Also, I think things like the reduced information (as compared with my old Tivo and my old standard receivers) on each show is due to the fact that the info getting sent to the R15 was too much for it to handle. Hence they reduced the info passed out to the R15, which I think led to the first run/repeat issue (less data means that it's probably harder for the R15 to determine if a show is a first run or not).

I also think that DTV's been trying to balance things - figuring out ways to free up memory (the crappy channel logos), as well as figuring out how far they could push it (how much more info could they pass to the unit to get things like first run/repeat to work correctly without killing the unit). I think that because from time to time (in between releases) the first run/repeat issue will get temporarily better. And I think that balancing act has caused the unit to freeze on searches (my 300 froze when I put in "T" and then "H", and I had to reset).

I have to say that Keith's tests are encouraging, and I'm going to see what I can do to the unit to see how well it holds up.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
I am not a tech type person but if a less powerful with less memory DirecTiVo can handle 100++ SP's, 400++ items in the TDL (I have had this on mine in the past) there is something wrong somewhere.

Its either hardware, software or data. I dont think its hardware as there are three different models and even the HR20 has the same problems so that leaves software or data.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
I had to do a reformat today also. When I went to power on the box, nothing would happen. So then I tried resetting it (I did that several times) and that didn't work. It would go to the Welcome screen to a black screen back to the Welcome screen. I talked to tech support and they had me reformat. I had a lot of stuff recorded. I'm guessing that's why I could not power on the box. Someone tell me if i'm wrong. So, as of 4:00 this afternoon, I had 100% capacity instead if about 10%.

·
Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my sceneorio test if thats what you want to call it did crash the R15.
I had to reset.
I am not using active channel features or wheather info from the active channel.

My todo list is at 98.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
I decided to MAX out my SL's, TDL and recording space after seeing this thread and after doing all this, I had to reset my almost perfectly working R-15 twice the first day. :(

When I got to 48 SL's, 100 TDL and 70% full, it started slowing down greatly. When I maxed the SL's to 50, 100 TDL and 70% full it locked up twice, once right afterwards and again a little later.

I did a pull the plug reset and its been better about the lockups :hurah: but still much slower than my other R-15 with only 30 SL's and 40% full. Pressing List takes a good 5+ seconds for MyVOD to appear. :eek2:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
Can you take a show that will still fill up the TDL but start to back down the SLs? I would be interested to see has a great effect on it TDL or SL.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Bobman said:
I decided to MAX out my SL's, TDL and recording space after seeing this thread and after doing all this, I had to reset my almost perfectly working R-15 twice the first day. :(

When I got to 48 SL's, 100 TDL and 70% full, it started slowing down greatly. When I maxed the SL's to 50, 100 TDL and 70% full it locked up twice, once right afterwards and again a little later.

I did a pull the plug reset and its been better about the lockups :hurah: but still much slower than my other R-15 with only 30 SL's and 40% full. Pressing List takes a good 5+ seconds for MyVOD to appear. :eek2:
Wait, is this as significant as I think it is? Is this the first documented crossover from golden unit to POS unit? I wonder if Earl (or any others with few or no problems) has ever maxed out his box.

I know personally mine crossed over from POS unit to, well, copper unit after reformatting and keeping the SL count low.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
I have very few problems, I don't have 50 SLs I only have about 32 right now (changes based on shows I like then don't like) my TDL maxes out often. My drive is almost never above 30% for any length of time. I watch what I record and ususally delete it right away. I have most of my shows set at 5 episodes (wish it had 10).

·
Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
After a couple days the maxed out R-15 seemed to stabalize. :) The 5+ second lags are down to about 3 which is about normal for both my R-15's.:( It also hasnt locked up since the day I maxed the SL's out. I think a day or two of turning it off at night to do some housekeeping helped.

What is strange is now with 50 SL's the TDL is not filling completly, only 97 as of this morning. It should be totally filled filled. My space is around 75% filled. Its hard to empty it as with 50 SL's its adding as much or more than I can watch.

My R-15 with about 30 SL's and only about 50% full is much faster.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
I've seen the TDL sitting at 98 or 99 many times when I've had a load on my R15. I think there's a soft limit when it's doing it's work so that there's room to add one or two manual records. Check out how far out the TDL is setup. You may find it only has entries in it for the next 5-6 days instead of 14.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
Bobman said:
After a couple days the maxed out R-15 seemed to stabalize. :) The 5+ second lags are down to about 3 which is about normal for both my R-15's.:( It also hasnt locked up since the day I maxed the SL's out. I think a day or two of turning it off at night to do some housekeeping helped.

What is strange is now with 50 SL's the TDL is not filling completly, only 97 as of this morning. It should be totally filled filled. My space is around 75% filled. Its hard to empty it as with 50 SL's its adding as much or more than I can watch.

My R-15 with about 30 SL's and only about 50% full is much faster.
I don't have anywhere near a full load on either of my DVRs, but I also noticed that my to do list is markedly smaller than it had been in the past. I would guess that my to do list on my living room DVR (500) would sit consistently around 60 items (I have about 12 - 15 SLs). Now, without actually changing my SLs, the number of items on my to do list is nearly half that (mid to high 30s). And it's been like this for several days now. I also noticed that my DVR seems to be better at filtering out some repeats. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Or if the DVR is waiting longer to put stuff on my to do list than it has in the past...

·
Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
Remember all that I am saying is on my almost perfectly working R-15. I would hate to see what happens if I did this on my other R-15 with the occasional problems.

My TDL is now very strange. :confused: I still have 50 SL's but the TDL is only at 86 when it should really be maxed out big time. It has a few shows scheduled out to 12/15, today is 12/2, but a lot of days that far out its missing a LOT of programs. It seems to schedule manual recordings first as on 12/15 thats all thats there. Interesting is even as close as Monday, 2 days away, it is missing shows that I know should be scheduled to record.:confused: It did not reset overnight, I checked the guide and its still on my fav channels.

I am in the 20% space left and pulling up the MyVOD results in the "Please Wait" screen and takes a looong time. This only seems to happen the first time you press list, so after the long wait the first time, it comes right up. Maybe it puts it in a cache/memory after the first use ?????

I was going to let it totally fill up and watch what happens but this is my main R-15 and I need to watch/record/delete some things.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
Almost no change from what I said yesterday. :rolleyes: Still have 50 SL's, TDL is at 84 when it should easily be maxed, and a few shows, some even scheduled for as early as TOMORROW are not there in the TDL. I tried to add 51 SL's and I received the "you have to delete to add" message so the 50 SL limit is still there.

The good thing is and what gives me a glimmer of hope that the R-15 just does things slooooow is todays shows are all there correctly.:rolleyes: Another good thing is all my top and high priority SL's are there and correct, its some lower ones around #40 and up that are not there yet. I dont see any conflicts that should stop them.

I was going to add the missing shows from tomorrow manually but decided to risk it and see what the R-15 does. If it misses them, when this R-15 hardly ever in a year missed any and was recording just fine until I maxed out the SL's, then that shows to me at least that maxing the SL's to 50 should not be done.

:nono2:
An odd thing I did notice and I cant figure out why :confused: :confused: is when I went from approx. 20% space left yesterday to approx. 50% space later in the day the R-15 got much faster. Not sure why how much available space left should factor in on the speed but it seems to. Maybe it stores all the MYVOD or show info in memory and the more shows the more memory it uses??????:confused:

It seems, from the limited testing I did, even if you max out the SL's as long as you dont let it fill up over approx. 60% it does not slow down. When it gets to 20% left it gets slooooow. So the number of SL's has little effect on the slowdowns, its how much recording space you use.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
I'm seeing the same TDL situation you mention Bobman. I bumped up my SLs to 50 a couple of days ago and right now my TDL is at 72. I've also noted that through tomorrow there's a pretty wide range of shows set to record ad flagged as conflicts (but not all). But from the 5th through the 14th there is only one show in the TDL for each day and it's the same show. Maybe coincidence, but it's also on the lowest number channel that I have SLs setup on yet it's #45 on my SL list but it was the last SL I added.

MyVOD is at 18% available but it's not really running that slow. Guilde pops up in about 1 second, MYVOD takes 8-9 seconds the first time after coming out of StandBY and about 3-4 seconds after that as you previously mentioned. Channel change is about the same as when I had 19 SLs.

How much of a delay are you seeing when reprioritizing SLs? I'm seeing about 4-5 seconds to move a SL up/down one notch. Man, does that take a long time to reorg a bunch of SLs. I like the fact that you can still watch TV but I prefer the Tivo method of reorging SPs where it doesn't take any time to reposition your SL and your wait time begins when you press SELECT.

I haven't had any freeze/reboot so far....knock wood.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
10E8 can't tell the differences between FR and Repeats on most of my SLs. I'm at 81 now. I just did my weekly RESET and I'll see how it looks tomorrow.

This is really an area that needs to be addressed in an update......if we're still geting one. I think the HR20 had a limit of 400 entries in it's TDL and we're stull stuck at 100?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.