DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DVR which is new, bought on eBay from an individual last month who owned it but never used it, access card was still sealed in the wrapper. I tried to activate the card but DTV would not allow me to activate it under my name and said it belonged to the person I bought the unit from. DirecTV today indicated to me that I needed to purchase a new access card, which I did. They said that they are the only authorized seller of new P12 access cards, but I noticed that "Weaknees.com" sells access cards for the R15.

Are there reputable sellers out there, or is DTV squeezing me to send $$ their way?

Where lies the truth?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,790 Posts
To late, but I think you should have escalated it with D*. They certainly could activate the card, but made $20 off you instead.

Weaknees is reputable.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
You could still try complaining and see if you can get them to credit the $20 back to you.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clint Lamor said:
You could still try complaining and see if you can get them to credit the $20 back to you.
I contacted the guy who sold me the DVR and he sent me $20 back for the replacement card that I had to purchase. In turn I sent the original access card back to him. I think it worked out for the best.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
qwerty said:
Weaknees is reputable.
They are reputable, however I don't think there are 3rd party vendor's authorized to sell "just" the access card.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
g314 said:
I contacted the guy who sold me the DVR and he sent me $20 back for the replacement card that I had to purchase. In turn I sent the original access card back to him. I think it worked out for the best.
Good deal, as long as in the end you got your money back. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
I'm sure that you are probably planning on it anyway, but make sure that you activate the R15 with the new card right away when you get it.

Dtv will "time out" the card after a few days (7, I think) if it isn't activated, and they will make you buy yet another card.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All is good, new DTV access card has been activated and R15 is working. The R15 is slower than my Tivo, but what the heck my wife uses it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.