DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· AllStar
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation:

I have an R15 in the bedroom that I am thinking about upgrading to an HR21. Wife has an old CRT TV in her "office" room in the house. That room already has a single coax drop from the original cable install years ago. Currently it's not used for anything, but the other end of it terminates close enough to my WB68 that it could be easily plugged in.

Question:

If I move the R15 to this new location and only hook up tuner 1, will the unit be useable and not have an error message popping up in the screen every few minutes about tuner 2 getting no signal?

Keep in mind that in this new location, dual tuners would NOT be necessary. Pausing live TV or the wife watching her recorded-during-the-day daily soap opera is really it. I'm thinking that all I may need to do is hook it up and do a "Repeat Satellite Setup" to get things going and have the receiver realize that only one tuner is active.

Your Thoughts?

· AllStar
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
D'oh!! :bang

Should have posted this in Standard Def DVR forum... Can a Mod move it please?

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
topflight70 said:
Situation:

I have an R15 in the bedroom that I am thinking about upgrading to an HR21. Wife has an old CRT TV in her "office" room in the house. That room already has a single coax drop from the original cable install years ago. Currently it's not used for anything, but the other end of it terminates close enough to my WB68 that it could be easily plugged in.

Question:

If I move the R15 to this new location and only hook up tuner 1, will the unit be useable and not have an error message popping up in the screen every few minutes about tuner 2 getting no signal?

Keep in mind that in this new location, dual tuners would NOT be necessary. Pausing live TV or the wife watching her recorded-during-the-day daily soap opera is really it. I'm thinking that all I may need to do is hook it up and do a "Repeat Satellite Setup" to get things going and have the receiver realize that only one tuner is active.

Your Thoughts?
You don't even need to re-do sat setup. Hook it up and power it up. The R15 detects which tuners are connected during start up.

If it does think it has both tuners installed, do a reset (or 2 or 3) until it properly figures out only tuner 1 is connected.

Carl

· Icon
578 Posts
I have two R15-500's hooked up as you describe: a single RG6 connected to tuner 1. They work just fine, and there are no nags to connect tuner 2. If you have an R15 connected with both tuners and disconnect the 2nd tuner without removing power you do see the error about connecting tuner 2. Just do as carl6 said: connect tuner 1 and then plug in the receiver. During startup it will determine that only one tuner is connected and will not nag about the second.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.