DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Not sure what it is you want to split.

You need to have a separate line from your satellite dish to each of the satellite inputs on the R15. You can't use a splitter on those lines.

You CAN put a splitter on the RF output of the R15 in order to send the signal to two TV's, if that is what you want to do. In that case, almost any standard tv splitter will work.

Let us know more specifically what it is you are trying to do, and we can help you figure out how to get there.

Carl

· Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
thehaggardcat said:
I am going to buy a R15 today and I was wondering if it matters were in the tv line I put a splitter?:confused:
"Splitter"?

If you mean you want to use a standard 1 to 2 splitter to connect a single line from the dish into two lines for the DVR, that won't work. You need two lines from the dish to run both tuners on the DVR. Or a device called a multi-switch, if you need more lines than the dish will provide.

· Registered
12,607 Posts
Tell us more about the type of dish you have and how many DirecTV Receivers/DVRs you have.

The round 18" single LNB dish should have two outputs on it to feed one dual-tuner DVR or two standalone receivers. The oval dishes with 3-LNBs have four outputs.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 18in round and have 1regular reciver now and one R15 DVR and Im wondering were i should put the mulitswitch because for some reason I have a slice in the line right now with a connector and I was hoping to just put the mulitswitch where the connector is. So my question is dose it matter where I put the mulit switch in the line?:)

· Godfather
267 Posts
Yes, it does matter.

The way your response is worded leads me to believe you have an LNB with only one output. If this is case, you're stuck. If you have the Dual feed LNB, then you're okay and those lines go to the multiswitch first

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the 2 output ,but lets say i have some extra cable could i just attach both the cables from the satilite to the mulitswitch inside the house then run 2 to the DRV and 1 to the regular reciver??:confused: :confused: so I would have 2wires in the crawl space then a mulitswitch the 2cables going to the dvr and 1 going to the regular reciver

· Godfather
267 Posts
That's the way to connect it. Just be sure you are using the proper cable.

Also, and this is very important, any unused inputs or outputs on the multiswitch should be left open. Do not use a terminator like you would in a non-sat feed network.

· Godfather
385 Posts
sheridan1952 said:
That's the way to connect it. Just be sure you are using the proper cable.

Also, and this is very important, any unused inputs or outputs on the multiswitch should be left open. Do not use a terminator like you would in a non-sat feed network.
Interesting, but I am a bit puzzled. Since you say, "...this is very important...", I assume that if one were to use terminators on the unused inputs/outputs, one might expect "unpleaseant consequences". However, and this is why I'm puzzled, when DTV did my install, they installed an 18" round dish with a single, two-outputs, LNB. They ran two cables to the R15, and one to a standard receiver. This required a multiswitch. They did not terminate the "ANT IN" input (just left a dust cap on it), but they did terminate the 4th, unused, output. I've never had any problems, at least I don't think have. Could there be problems that I just haven't recognized?

· Godfather
267 Posts
Actually, I wasn't clear on that, sorry. I was refering to the 75 ohm terminators that are used on open cable or OTA antenna jacks. They are used to prevent ghosting from un-terminated outputs. They will cause problems on a sat feed. There are terminators that are designed for sat applications and that is probably what they used or you would have had problems.

I was just cautioning you in case the thought crossed your mind about it. But it looks like I muddied the water, sorry.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it to work got a mulitswitch from raidioshack for a good price every thing appears to be working right , thanks for all your help D* customer support didnt help me much:mad: but this site sure did.

Thanks!:D

· Godfather
385 Posts
sheridan1952 said:
Actually, I wasn't clear on that, sorry. I was refering to the 75 ohm terminators that are used on open cable or OTA antenna jacks. They are used to prevent ghosting from un-terminated outputs. They will cause problems on a sat feed. There are terminators that are designed for sat applications and that is probably what they used or you would have had problems.

I was just cautioning you in case the thought crossed your mind about it. But it looks like I muddied the water, sorry.
Well, perhaps it depends on which multiswitch you are using (because I just came across this: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=WB68 )

On that webpage, for that particular multiswitch, it flatout states NOT to use any terminators on unused inputs/outputs.

I also found this at http://www.zcwc.com/zcwc/tech_support/index_faq.shtml#SAM_3402_Q4

Q4: Do I need to use the terminator for those unused output ports?

A: Yes. It is suggested to connect the terminators to the unused output ports when the off-air signal is also connected.

(CAUTION: The 75 ohm terminator can ONLY use for SAM-3402 but NOT to use with SAM-4803, SAM-4402-3A, SAM-6802, WB68 & WB616).
=======================================================

The SAM 3402 is what I have.

· Godfather
267 Posts
rlambert7 said:
Well, perhaps it depends on which multiswitch you are using (because I just came across this: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=WB68 )

On that webpage, for that particular multiswitch, it flatout states NOT to use any terminators on unused inputs/outputs.
And that was the basis for my comment. Until your post, I had never heard of terminator approved for use on a sat feed, but apparently they do exist. I found a reference to one on a search.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.