DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but I can't find "difficulty starting up" on a search.

The message --

"Your receiver is having difficulty starting up. To assist start up, unplug the receiver for 1 minute and then plug it back in" --

showed up on our R15 after a thunderstorm a few days ago. (Our HR20 was also knocked out but came back on OK.)

After replugging, this message (which has shown up before) appears --

"Checking the disk... please wait. This may take up to 30 minutes. Do not reset or power down the receiver."

After a while, the first message always reappears, & the cycle repeats.

I'm reluctant for countless reasons to call DirecTV. There's probably much better advice here. E.g., DirecTV might suggest using the red reset button. We lost 100 hours of HD programming on our HR20-100's e-SATA drive by following that advice.

If the R15 won't run, can the programs be retrieved & even put it back on the R15's drive after a reformat, e.g. (in case the data won't play unless associated with this R15 -- as on the HR20's)? We really want the things not yet archived.

Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In case this is helpful to anyone who may find this 2 years later...

After weeks of hoping for a solution or miracle, I unplugged the R15. Way more than a year later, I turned it on again. A half hour later, it was running & all the old recordings were there.

I don't know if it got an update, or what might have fixed it. Still working, so far.

weattv said:
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but I can't find "difficulty starting up" on a search.

The message --

"Your receiver is having difficulty starting up. To assist start up, unplug the receiver for 1 minute and then plug it back in" --

showed up on our R15 after a thunderstorm a few days ago. (Our HR20 was also knocked out but came back on OK.)

After replugging, this message (which has shown up before) appears --

"Checking the disk... please wait. This may take up to 30 minutes. Do not reset or power down the receiver."

After a while, the first message always reappears, & the cycle repeats.

I'm reluctant for countless reasons to call DirecTV. There's probably much better advice here. E.g., DirecTV might suggest using the red reset button. We lost 100 hours of HD programming on our HR20-100's e-SATA drive by following that advice.

If the R15 won't run, can the programs be retrieved & even put it back on the R15's drive after a reformat, e.g. (in case the data won't play unless associated with this R15 -- as on the HR20's)? We really want the things not yet archived.

Any suggestions? Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.