DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

R15 overheating?

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Wolffpack 
#1 ·
I've had my R15 for all of 8 days, and it's already showing a bug I haven't seen mentioned anywhere (at least not on the DirecTV website... I haven't fully scouted out this site yet).

It thinks it's overheated. It won't turn on for more than a minute because it needs to cool down. But it's been "cooling" for at least 2 hours, probably longer. It was in this state when I got home from work.

And to field the obvious questions, no fans are obstructed. It's on a flat surface (wood) with ample clearance between the R15 and the wall (6-8"), and it's no where near a heating source. I called DirecTV about it, and their only option was unplug it. Surprise, surprise, that didn't do a thing.

I'm just at a total loss. We're getting a new receiver in a few days, but if anyone has an idea of how to salvage my current one, I would be VERY appreciative. There are programs on there that I would really like to save. And has anyone else experienced this??

#3 ·
It's also possible that the fan is fine, even if it isn't spinning, since it's under (buggy) software control. Some here have simply hardwired the fan to a constant power source.

See if you can get a temperature reading before it shuts down next time it's running.

#4 ·
eporer said:
I've had my R15 for all of 8 days, and it's already showing a bug I haven't seen mentioned anywhere (at least not on the DirecTV website... I haven't fully scouted out this site yet).

It thinks it's overheated. It won't turn on for more than a minute because it needs to cool down. But it's been "cooling" for at least 2 hours, probably longer. It was in this state when I got home from work.

And to field the obvious questions, no fans are obstructed. It's on a flat surface (wood) with ample clearance between the R15 and the wall (6-8"), and it's no where near a heating source. I called DirecTV about it, and their only option was unplug it. Surprise, surprise, that didn't do a thing.

I'm just at a total loss. We're getting a new receiver in a few days, but if anyone has an idea of how to salvage my current one, I would be VERY appreciative. There are programs on there that I would really like to save. And has anyone else experienced this??
It certainly sounds to me like a bad box (maybe a bad sensor). Is it online long enough for you to enter the setup/Info&Test menu and see what the current internal temp is? Mine typically runs around 50-55C.

#8 ·
eporer said:
Figured that out. Apparently it thinks it's running at 85C (?!?!?!) even though it's cool to the touch. Stupid piece of $%!@^.

Would a red button reset do anything, do you think?
You've already pulled the plug and rebooted that way, right? You could certainly try resetting it again. I think the temperature sensor died, though.

#15 ·
Before modifying my fans to run continuously one of my R15's crashed several times due to heat. I never saw a warning message. But then, if there had been a warning message, one would expect the unit to be smart enough to do something to cool down (run the fan, shut the unit down, ???).

Carl

#17 ·
You got a overheating message before? I didn't know the R15 had one.
Only the first 2 times I tried to turn the receiver on. Once the actual TV kicked in, it would say something like "The receiver is too hot. It will be powering off to cool down. It will turn back on shortly." It was in a little blue box on the bottom right. It may have just given me that message because I was turning it on during it's cool down session.

And pardon my extreme ignornace, but how do I do a "02468" to reload the software?

#18 ·
I remember someone posting about the overheating message last summer. I suspect they added it when they added the temp to the info menu.

I think it was Earl that posted that the fan kicks on at 54C.

I was asked not to say who told me they use the hard drive temp sensor.

#19 ·
That is interesting. If true, then eporer could probably fix this with a new hard drive (since 85C is clearly an erroneous measurement). I'd have thought they would measure the CPU. Maybe they should measure both and throw out any unreasonable measurement. It would give a bit of redundancy.

#20 ·
eporer said:
Only the first 2 times I tried to turn the receiver on. Once the actual TV kicked in, it would say something like "The receiver is too hot. It will be powering off to cool down. It will turn back on shortly." It was in a little blue box on the bottom right. It may have just given me that message because I was turning it on during it's cool down session.

And pardon my extreme ignornace, but how do I do a "02468" to reload the software?
Intersting, I guess it makes sense that they added with the temp like qwerty said.

To do the software download (ie 02468), hit the reset button and then when you get the welcome screen hit 02468 (once and only once and don't hit any other buttons). Then just wait, it will take a couple of mins and the software should redownload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.