DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, thanks for all the great info on this board.

I've been using a couple of old UTV's up until a week ago. I love them, but I'm down to one tuner on each, so I thought I would upgrade. WHAT A MISTAKE! These R15's are crap.

I could probably get used to the 30 second slip, but I've already lost 3 programs do to lockup/reboots. Now I read that they are rolling back the latest update to get back to the version that I have. Well the version I have sucks!

Anyway, I'm shipping the UTV's off in the morning to be repaired. Anyone know if Best Buy will take these R15's back? I've had them less then a week and I have all of the boxes/packing material.

I would love to be convinced that I'm being hasty and the R15's are worth the hastle. Anyone want to give it a try? :lol:

·
Mentor
32 Posts
I can’t convince you. Only you can do that. All I can do is relate my experiences.

I have 3 TIVO based DVRs and one R-15. I love the TIVO DVRs but I’m also growing quite fond of the R-15. The features that can only be accessed with the R-15 are a big selling point to me, especially during football games. The only time I reset is after a software upgrade. My problems have been few and far between.

I rarely post on this board although I read it daily. The reason being I rarely have problems. Others will relay different experiences. Your mileage will vary.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
I don't think BB will simply take them back. But give it a try.

I agree, R15/HR20 isn't there yet. DTivos are and from what I've heard, so are the UTVs. If you can get them fixed, good for you. If not, look to purchase a DTivo or two. Bottom line is that if you want to depend on your DVR to record what you tell it and be able to play what it records, you need to stay away from the R15 and HR20.

·
Legend
148 Posts
As a UTV (2 retired) fan who owns 2 R-15s, 2 HR-20s, a HR10-250 and one of the SD DTivos.... Don't get a DTivo. You probably dislike the workflow. The R-15 is much closer to the feel of a UTV.

I didn't even know you could get a UTV fixed.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Wolffpack said:

I agree, R15/HR20 isn't there yet. DTivos are and from what I've heard, so are the UTVs. If you can get them fixed, good for you. If not, look to purchase a DTivo or two. Bottom line is that if you want to depend on your DVR to record what you tell it and be able to play what it records, you need to stay away from the R15 and HR20.
And so my point is proven.

My R-15 records what I want when I want and I never have problems playing back the recordings. I dump many programs to my DVD burner and they come out fine.

Wolfpacks experiences are obviously different.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
KY Mike said:
And so my point is proven.

My R-15 records what I want when I want and I never have problems playing back the recordings. I dump many programs to my DVD burner and they come out fine.

Wolfpacks experiences are obviously different.
That's the point. Both the R15 and HR20 are the greatest DVRs since sliced bread for some folks and the worst POSes for others. That equals unreliability. My R15 works fine, but then again I do a reset every weekend to keep it on it's toes. There's no way that users of these DVRs should be seeing this wide a range of dependability.

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wolffpack said:
Bottom line is that if you want to depend on your DVR to record what you tell it and be able to play what it records, you need to stay away from the R15 and HR20.
Wow, that's a very strong statement. Unfortunately, it does summarize my short experience with the R15.

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
laxcoach said:
As a UTV (2 retired) fan who owns 2 R-15s, 2 HR-20s, a HR10-250 and one of the SD DTivos.... Don't get a DTivo. You probably dislike the workflow. The R-15 is much closer to the feel of a UTV.

I didn't even know you could get a UTV fixed.
You're absolutely right. I didn't have any dependability issues with my dtivo, but I hated the interface. The R15 seems very intuitive.

I'm not sure if you're aloud to post links here, but a quick search for "ultimatetv repair" brings you to a place that I'm told is very reliable. It's $130 to have both tuners replaced (hence the R15 decision), but I'm starting to think that it's worth it.

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KY Mike said:
The features that can only be accessed with the R-15 are a big selling point to me, especially during football games. The only time I reset is after a software upgrade. My problems have been few and far between.

I rarely post on this board although I read it daily. The reason being I rarely have problems. Others will relay different experiences. Your mileage will vary.
What features are available on the R15 that aren't on dtivo or utv?

The final straw was last night when my wife and I were watching a recording of the Eagles game. About half way through, we stopped it to eat dinner. When we tried to restart the playback, we just got a black screen. I tried everything, including trying to play it from the history screen. Nothing worked. I did a reset, and when it came back up, the game, along with several other recorded items, was gone.

Have you experienced anything like this?

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cabanaboy1977 said:
Yeah, there are some places online that will do it. I would think that it would be cheaper to get a used one of of ebay.
Yeah, but I have three of them from Ebay laying here right now, all with 1 bad tuner. I finally gave up.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
DustyTrail said:
What features are available on the R15 that aren't on dtivo or utv?

The final straw was last night when my wife and I were watching a recording of the Eagles game. About half way through, we stopped it to eat dinner. When we tried to restart the playback, we just got a black screen. I tried everything, including trying to play it from the history screen. Nothing worked. I did a reset, and when it came back up, the game, along with several other recorded items, was gone.

Have you experienced anything like this?
Did you try changing the channel? There is an issue sometimes where if you don't change the change before you reboot that the program will be gone. Also if the program is still recording it will delete the first half of what you recorded (unlike the UTV that would break it up into two partials).

DustyTrail said:
Yeah, but I have three of them from Ebay laying here right now, all with 1 bad tuner. I finally gave up.
Yeah it's always a gamble with ebay. Just wondering, how much are they charging you to fix the tuners?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
DustyTrail said:
I would love to be convinced that I'm being hasty and the R15's are worth the hastle. Anyone want to give it a try? :lol:
All I will say is you locked yourself into a new two year commitment already so you might as well keep them. ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
2,776 Posts
Wolffpack said:
That's the point. Both the R15 and HR20 are the greatest DVRs since sliced bread for some folks and the worst POSes for others. That equals unreliability. My R15 works fine, but then again I do a reset every weekend to keep it on it's toes. There's no way that users of these DVRs should be seeing this wide a range of dependability.
I had both extremes. My R15 300 was nothing but trouble, lockups, black screens, unresponsive, caller id non-functional (would display unknown caller several times a day when the phone hadn't rang), similar issues to others. Reboots, reformats did not help.

My replacement, an R15 100, with the exact same series links, exact same cables, exact same hookup, has not been reset at all and the caller id is functional.

The variation in performance is just bizarre.

Now, if they would just up the limits and add dual buffers, I would be totally happy.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Bobman said:
All I will say is you locked yourself into a new two year commitment already so you might as well keep them. ;)
Two year committment is for service. Not equipment. Get your own equipment and go from there.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
raott said:
I had both extremes. My R15 300 was nothing but trouble, lockups, black screens, unresponsive, caller id non-functional (would display unknown caller several times a day when the phone hadn't rang), similar issues to others. Reboots, reformats did not help.

My replacement, an R15 100, with the exact same series links, exact same cables, exact same hookup, has not been reset at all and the caller id is functional.

The variation in performance is just bizarre.

Now, if they would just up the limits and add dual buffers, I would be totally happy.
Kinda makes one wonder if the newest kid on the block (-100) has different hardware specs. Possibly all -300s and -500s need to be replaced with -100s. Anyone with a -100 having problems?

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cabanaboy1977 said:
Did you try changing the channel? There is an issue sometimes where if you don't change the change before you reboot that the program will be gone. Also if the program is still recording it will delete the first half of what you recorded (unlike the UTV that would break it up into two partials).

Yeah it's always a gamble with ebay. Just wondering, how much are they charging you to fix the tuners?
$130. They do both tuners, regardless if one is working.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,790 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Bobman said:
I was in BB last week. There was a sign by the R15's saying something bout a 30 day satisfaction guarantee (I didn't read the details because I'm not considering another unit).

I think there's a shot they might take them back.

·
3 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Kinda makes one wonder if the newest kid on the block (-100) has different hardware specs. Possibly all -300s and -500s need to be replaced with -100s. Anyone with a -100 having problems?
I joined these boards and was about to post, for precisely this reason.

I switched from D*Network after some crappy customer service issues, but no real hardware issues that they didn't take care of right away.

I've had the r15-100 for about a month and a half...and have already had issues like crazy.

It started with dropping timers for Heroes, and is now dropping timers everywhere. This morning it dropped an Outer Limits timer for me, and tonight it is currently failing to record Tales from the Darkside.

Basically, unless I'm babysitting my DVR, I am apt to miss shows...and that defeats the purpose of a DVR.

I haven't done a reformat yet, because I have shows saved I haven't watched (like Heroes, for instance, since I'm waiting until I can watch the episode that this DVR dropped entirely).

I was going to force a software update, but from what I gather, 0x1022 is the most up to date software, so it seems like I'm SOL there.

To say nothing of smaller issues like the DVR refusing to recognize a "push-button" record, or ignoring the rewind or fast forward buttons.

Soooo...yeah, I'm having problems with a -100.

Tommy

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.